Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have just recently purchased a 2000 Durango SLT 4x4. When I purchased it the brakes didn't feel like they were working as good as they should have been. So, I did a complete brake job thinking this would solve the problem.

I replaced the front rotors and pads and the rear drums and shoes, bleed the system and the truck takes to long to stop and the pedal is almost rock hard after pressing about a 1/4 of the way down.

I re-bleed the system to make sure and still have the same problem. Weird thing is when I go in reverse the brakes feel great except the fronts lock up when you brake hard in reverse.

Any help would be awesome sorry so long for my first post.

·
Gas Guzlin and Tire smoke
3,301 Posts
sounds like the valve on your brake booster is not working like it should....youll see a large black round thing behind your master cylinder....this is called a brake booster....from there you will see a little elbo looking valve (at least i think its an elbo valve) there is a hose connected to it that goes to the intake manifold.....disconnect the hose from the valve and remove the valve.....not sure how its held in to the brake booster, never did one one on a dodge before..replace the valve and your brakes should work fine.....if not than take it into the dealer and expect to be buying a new brake booster (Not cheap) ..... ohh and buy the way i think the valve costs around 20 bucks......not sure cuz i never did one before but i think.....

hope this helped out - Abe

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced the valve (power brake check valve 16 bucks). Still have a hard pedal.

Maybe I am just not used to Dodge brakes, do they tend to need a little more effort then other cars due to their weight?

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
what did u drive b4, my dakotas breaks and my moms toyota breaks are so diffrent its not funny, the 4runner is so smooth and easy to push while the dodge breaks hard. if this is how it is and theres no problems at least u wont have to worry about a break job or them breaking down on you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.