Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what exhaust design puts out more horses and torque, a true dual exhaust with an H-pipe or one with an X-pipe? Has anyone tried both setups and if so, what do you feel puts out more gains? Which dual type is louder? Thanks.

Joshua

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
have tried both, and like both. the "H" pipe setup supposedly helps out bottom end torque, and the "X" helps out with top end. many car type magazines have done testing and have there pros and cons. to get t he most out of the "H" setup, you have to put it a specific disatance behind the collectors (IIRC, 18")

i may be wrong on what does what, if there is any diff between the two.

sound, i didnt really notice any diff in sound.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Razman,

Another question. If I want low end torque and mid/top end power, would I get the H-pipe and shorty headers (since the shorties are for top end)? Or H-pipe with full length headers and cams for mid/top end? I want a streetable truck with low end torque but also have some power in the mid/top end for the freeways. What do you suggest? Can I work with my exhaust and get all bottom, mid and top end power without replacing my cams? Thanks

Joshua

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
on the 4.7, headers are not really needed as your stock manifolds flow the same if not better thant the headers that are out there now....

cams and intake will help you out on the top end, that is for sure. fact that is the cheapest mod out there (www.socaldakota.com best prices around) exhaust, go with a X pipe and grab a F&B tB if ya can fit it into your budget.

better yet, www.gsmotorsports.com for a exhaust for your truck. pricey but street proven and worth it.

the 4.7 has plenty of torque, not many mods out there for tq, most of the stuff out there factors on the high reving top end.

contact B&G Chrysler for a ECM flash, that would help a little as they can take out the Tq managment that is in the ECM.

as you can see, cant have both (TQ and HP)... there is a sacrafice in that area.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
The X is going to give a little more power, but the H is going to be a little louder. Both are great, do not do a true dual system without one of them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts