Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
elpoepdiputskcuf
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i went to a "performance" place today and had one of the techs make an ass of himself by telling me stuff about my truck and our gen of trucks that i knew just wasnt true. they might be able to hook up their chargers and challengers, but dont know shit about....................end rant.

so anyway. heres the deal. i just ordered a 8.25 27 spline suregrip LSD. apparently they arent made anymore but these were found stashed away in a warehouse. $90 after shipping, couldnt resist. id like to add some 4.10s while im in there. i called a different place and they said they could do it, but wouldnt warranty it because i provided my own locker. they want $560 labor to do the swap. can someone provide me a detailed explanation as to what work is neccesary. i figure u gotta just about rebuild the whole thing but id like a step by step or a link to some info as to how to do this so i can decide if i think i can do it myself. BTW, the guys at the shop i visited told me 4.10s wouldnt even go in my rear end and that my mostly stock v8 would snap my axles if i could get it in there. any info is helpfull. im just kinda confused now :huh:

·
Registered
18,117 Posts
Gears aren't something you want to install yourself, even if you think you have the capability. 27 splines typically isn't going to hold up to a bunch of power, even v6 mustang guys go up to a larger diff and 31 spline axles... Are you sure you're in a position to say whether or not a local shop knows what they are talking about or not? :funny:

·
elpoepdiputskcuf
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ha, y u got fuk wit me....LOL

u shoulda been there.......

but really, im not planning but MAYBE 300hp. and thats eventually.
i just want both tires to provide power right now.

how much easier would it be if i didnt do gears?

·
Registered
903 Posts
I did my own gears and its not really rocket surgury.. google the shit out of it and youll probably be able to figure it out.

·
Low 'N Slow
635 Posts
there's a lot of checking specs. other wise it's simple.

Let me know how that LSD is, i was thinking of getting one for myself.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
don't listen to these guys about breaking the axles you don't have to worry about that. i trapped 115mph in the 1/4 with stock axles on cheater slicks. (using online calculators thats about 425hp at the tire.) i now have a locker with 4.56 gears and axles still doing great.

·
elpoepdiputskcuf
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anybody know about a sure grip? Is there a way to tell its a genuine mopar piece?

·
elpoepdiputskcuf
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did my own gears and its not really rocket surgury.. google the shit out of it and youll probably be able to figure it out.
nice...... ive heard rocket science and brain surgey used as a referance but never rocket surgery.
LOL

·
Registered
18,117 Posts
don't listen to these guys about breaking the axles you don't have to worry about that. i trapped 115mph in the 1/4 with stock axles on cheater slicks. (using online calculators thats about 425hp at the tire.) i now have a locker with 4.56 gears and axles still doing great.
And you have a 8.25 with 27 spline axles??? :clap2:

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
yes. with 120k on them.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had the 27 spline axles in my 91 with 80,000 miles on them and ran over 100 1/8th miles with slicks. 50+ passes that were in the 7.50 - 7.80 range. Then I replaced the axles with some Yukons replaced all the bearings, added a LPW diff cover and made another 80+ passes running 7.50's and even a few 6.90's on spray. I still would be running the 8.25 if I hadn't watched a friends S10 break an axle and smack the guard rail. The rear is way under rated! If your only planning on 300hp and the rear is in good shape you will not have a problem.

Mike

·
elpoepdiputskcuf
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im going to a different junkyard this wkend to look at some 9.25s. hopefully theyll have some with lockers, even better w/ 3.92s. the ones at my job are cost to much. hopefully ill be able to stick my orig. idea and proceed w/ the swap.

·
No Boost? Why Drive?
1,766 Posts
im going to a different junkyard this wkend to look at some 9.25s. hopefully theyll have some with lockers, even better w/ 3.92s. the ones at my job are cost to much. hopefully ill be able to stick my orig. idea and proceed w/ the swap.
You need to get your nomenclature correct. It's a limited slip, not a locker.

·
elpoepdiputskcuf
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know wut it is. Easier to type locker on blackberry. That was a good word. Never heard it b4. U must have stayd at holiday inn last night. Lol

·
elpoepdiputskcuf
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yep, tried that.

the place im going doesnt show up on car-part but a buddy of mine knows that they are there.

uve been pm'd 95dak.

·
MOPAR or NOCAR
60 Posts
BTW, the guys at the shop i visited told me 4.10s wouldnt even go in my rear end and that my mostly stock v8 would snap my axles if i could get it in there.
Thats bull shit! Your chances of snaping an axle are not that much greater, axles and tranny are capable of handling more than the what they say. The gen 2 dakotas either had 3.55, 3.75, or 3.90 gear ratios, and most stock dakotas had the 3.55. The difference between a 3.55 and a 4.11 is not that much to the point were you will have to worry about snaping the axle just because you punched it. The only time you might have to worry at all is if you have got a low gear ratio with really big tires and doing pulls or hauling a really heavy trailer, wich if your doing something like that you might want to get a bigger axle any ways. But from what I can tell your truck is the sport/street type sitting low to the ground with no offroading, so I think your safe.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thats bull shit! Your chances of snaping an axle are not that much greater, axles and tranny are capable of handling more than the what they say. The gen 2 dakotas either had 3.55, 3.75, or 3.90 gear ratios, and most stock dakotas had the 3.55. The difference between a 3.55 and a 4.11 is not that much to the point were you will have to worry about snaping the axle just because you punched it. The only time you might have to worry at all is if you have got a low gear ratio with really big tires and doing pulls or hauling a really heavy trailer, wich if your doing something like that you might want to get a bigger axle any ways. But from what I can tell your truck is the sport/street type sitting low to the ground with no offroading, so I think your safe.
Yea, the 8.25 is really underestimated. These are tuff axles, I beat on mine for years with no problems. Gear options were 3.21, 3.55, and 3.90 though.

·
Loud is NOT Fast
1,768 Posts
At this point I prefer lockers, myself. If you find a different axle, maybe sell the NIB LSD? Or convert your 8.25 to 29-spline and get a locker for that?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts