Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 01 Durango 4x4 w/95k that Im noticing some grinding sound from the front. Only happens when driving. Nothing really makes it worse or better. Turning doesnt seem to make a diff, or not that I can notice. It does seem to make a change better or worse when I hit a dip in the road at speed. Im not familiar with the front diff setup, but Im concerned about CV joints. Anyone had similar problems? It could be the tires for all I know. All fluids have been recently changed and when it was at the dealership to have a new axle seal put it, they said they didnt notice any noise other than road noise. I now Im hearing something since the wife mentions it. Any help or thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
599 Posts
we had a grinding noise that we had checked out last winter and what had happen was that a bearing seal was bad and caused the bearing to crap out. and and then when the durango was at the dealership they also said the the transfer case was also trashed. how that could have happened I dont know, but get it checked quick.

lucky for us we had purchased the extended drivetrain plan otherwise we would have had to eat it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. Wheel bearings were my next concern. The noise seems to be getting louder. I guess I need to get into it. Ironically, I just replaced wheel bearings in my Land Rover.

K

·
0 Posts
iI just did both of my front bearing and hub assemblies. The mechanic wanted an arm & leg to do it. Said the part was $500.

I used http://www.discountautoparts.com/ and got them for $130 and did it myself. Took about an hour to do. Very very easy.

Only problem was..... the trans took a crap the next day. Always something

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot about this post. Thought I would post an update on what I found.

I also was having a weird clicking noise when turning the steering wheel left only. And was having a funny squeaking noise over bumps.

Found out the culprit. A worn out rack and pinion. Replaced it and all is good now.

Hope this helps someone with similar symptoms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts