Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anybody has swapped the gen 1 grill and head lights on a gen 2?

i thought one time i saw a 4x4 on here once that did it?
am i wrong?

mostly I want projector headlights but i dont seem to find them for a 96, only the first gen

i posted in the lighting section and no replys so i thought i would give this a shot

·
Bippity Boppity Buppity
379 Posts
I am assuming you want the sealed beam headlights instead of your aero headlights. If that is the case you can swap headlight doors from a gen2 truck that came with sealed beam headlights onto your truck. Swapping in a Gen1 grill is much more involved than the grille and lights as the fenders and hoods were different dimensions.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
i was wondering if anybody has swapped the gen 1 grill and head lights on a gen 2?

am i wrong?

mostly I want projector headlights but i dont seem to find them for a 96, only the first gen

i posted in the lighting section and no replys so i thought i would give this a shot
I think you need hood, fenders, grille. Lot more different then it sounds.

·
keep your stick onthe ice
1,058 Posts
hood and bumper for sure would be needed and I think the core support is different too. The fenders are the same from 87-96 like 99% of the body panels. They did make a few 91-96's with the sealed beam (old style) headlights. On a side note I still don't really agree with the Gen I and Gen II most people do they are just way to much the same and the changes are a little more progressive than just one model year.

·
Registered
411 Posts

am i wrong?

if you go with the old style 87-90 then you need front rad support and bumper and hood along with grill and stuff. the fenders are the same if you go with the 87-90 flat nose style the you also need a electric fan. 91-96 came two ways some had a work man edition with the glass head lights. and the other is the bulb type. if you have the work mans edition then you can get the projecter style. hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
hood and bumper for sure would be needed and I think the core support is different too. The fenders are the same from 87-96 like 99% of the body panels. They did make a few 91-96's with the sealed beam (old style) headlights. On a side note I still don't really agree with the Gen I and Gen II most people do they are just way to much the same and the changes are a little more progressive than just one model year.
I agree. The 1970 and 1981 Camaro were both technically 2nd Gen Camaros, but they barely resemble each other.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
basicly i got some HID lights and i wanted to get the most out of them and everyone was sayin go with the projector lights, so i looked for a few hours on ebay and only turned up stuff for the older and newer trucks.

i do like the front end on the gen 1 more so i thought about going and changing the front end, i swore some one had done it on a 4x4 and had said it was very similar... im most likly wrong though hahaha

thanks for all the feed back!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
I urge you to not convert to the terrible sealed beam style front end... I had one and I can tell you the composite lights look ALOT better... If you want to have a nice projector set what I was thinking to do on my truck was essentially to take these hella projector housings split the front lense off the stock composite housing and mound the projector lense inside the housing then reseal it together. http://www.myhellalights.com/halogen_lamps/90mm_Headlamp_Module.html

·
Registered
411 Posts
basicly i got some HID lights and i wanted to get the most out of them and everyone was sayin go with the projector lights, so i looked for a few hours on ebay and only turned up stuff for the older and newer trucks.

i do like the front end on the gen 1 more so i thought about going and changing the front end, i swore some one had done it on a 4x4 and had said it was very similar... im most likly wrong though hahaha

thanks for all the feed back!!
its not hard at all you need what I said in the post a few up and your set.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright cool im liking that idea
i just need to think of something to hold it inside the headlight that looks good and will hold it strong.

·
Registered
864 Posts
well It looks like it comes with a sort of bracket and all that but if it didnt, i was essentially gonna make a sort of L bracket inside the housing (gonna just cut out alot of the back of the housing) then mount the bracket inside the light hosing, fill in/cover everythign else up with some fiberglass and resin, sand it smooth and paint it sliver, screw in the projector lens and call it good.

·
MOPAR RULES!
150 Posts
Just a thought i have lol.. we use a 2 part epoxy glue have to have a special gun kinda like a caulking gun to use .it mixes the epoxy together as it comes out it sets up in like 20-30 seconds so you have to work fast... it dries like clear and like a rock .can be drilled sanded painted and all of that but we use it on everything. and have had great luck. i think it is called duramix and we get it at are car quest store its like 20 a tube . but it will hold or seal any cracks, holes ect. we have used it to repair bumper covers even . thought i would just give you another way of holding or filling any part of the headlights. might be something to look into. Patrick WD

·
elpoepdiputskcuf
2,493 Posts
Got a buddy who just swappd his oldr style front end for the newr look. His truck is a 94 or 95 so it should wrk on urs. PM if interestd.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts