Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'll be the first to admit that I don't know very much at all when it comes to things under the hood of my truck. When it came to automotive smarts my brother got all of that. I'm sorry if this is kind of long so please bear with me.

I was house sitting this weekend and I was going home one morning and I live on a small hill, so as I start to pull out I notice something isn't right with my truck. It's making a weird noise and has no power what so ever. To me it sounds like it's stuck between neutral and drive so I shift it back into park and put it in drive again but nothing changes. So I give it a little more gas and something "pops" and everything goes back to normal. Only thing is my check engine light comes on. So I take it to AutoZone to see what's up and the only thing it shows is a cylinder misfire. Like I said I don't know much about the technical side of cars and trucks but I'm thinking a cylinder misfire isn't going to do that. So does anyone have any idea what could have caused that? If the light is still on Friday I am going to call and make an appointment to take it to the dealer.

Thanks for listening and for any help you can give me. :help:

Mitch

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is your engine running rough? You would probably notice a fisfire, and that wouldn't cause a pop. Sounds like a tranny problem... maybe check the vacuum hoses to it, thats all I know to tell ya

Chris

·
Registered
69 Posts
fluid lever

It sounds like you are low on transmission fluid (assuming you have an automatic). When its low on trany fluid it will get stuck between neutral and drive or reverse when you put it in gear and then all the sudden just pop in. Also you will probably notice that it does something similar when its shifting gears. The other thing you might notice is when its cold out the problem will get worse when its cold and better when its hot because when its cold the fluid will contract giving you an even lower fluid level.

Try just putting like half a quart in and see if the problem goes away if it does you may have a leak that you need to find and fix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts