Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wife and I where at the bar tonight. I go out to the dingo and notice on the ground dead center of the durango a huge ammount of some kind of fluid. I didn't think anything of it at first. Then I figured I'd better check, I put my finger in the fluid. It appears clear, has no scent to it and is greasy, kinda like olive oil. So I figure fuck....what now. So I get in and cut the wheels to the left. The wheel shimmied then worked fine. I drive about 10 miles with no issues at all, temp is below mid line as usual. When I get home I open the hood and there are drops of some kinda rust colored liquid on the top of my fan shroud. Then I notice there is a puddle on the top of my rad cap. I check the overflow tank and it's bone dry. I have been slowly losing coolant in the past 2 months but now theres zip. All over the under side of my hood and to the left and right of my motor inside the bay there is this clear\lightly rusted color liquid. Same shit that was on the ground outside the bar. It has no odor, and feel's oily. I checked all other fluids and they are all at proper levels. Also I forgot to mention it looks like at the top of my water pump there is a weep hole. All around it is fluid, and also my idler pulley was covered in fluid. Is my damned water pump going bad. I think I'm in denial because it's cold, I'm tired and it probably is going bad. What do you guys think?

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Your definitly looseing coolant. Rusty color is old and needs changing anyway. I would bet it is either a bad hose or radiator.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn.....Whats the capacity of the 4.7, cant find my haynes. And should I just stick with the 50/50 green prestone stuff?

·
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇ&#
13,196 Posts
If you have the green stuff in there now, just stick with the 50/50 mix....check the color of your coolant first when you drain it....it could be the orange colored Dex-cool stuff....don't mix green with the Dex-cool

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
There is coolant that works with both types of fluid that is pre mixed, get that. I think that is what I use. Orange didn't become standard untill 03-04.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Mine was the orange/yellow shit from the factory.

Drained and refilled with 'universal green' a long time ago.

·
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇ&#
13,196 Posts
Mine was the orange/yellow shit from the factory.

Drained and refilled with 'universal green' a long time ago.
I did the same thing for the wife's PT Cruiser...the orange crap they had in there ate up the t-stat housing in 45,000 miles...drained & flushed all the orange out and installed 50/50 green coolant.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well got the pump changed out. Turns out the bearings on the fan went kaput and the fan was rocking back and forth on the pump shaft. I left it off and she has more pep now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts