Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at vip today and i see a few glass pack's for cheap, their was the purple hornie for 40 bucks and a red hot glass pack for 20 bucks, anyways what do you think of them for a 5.2? Do they have a good tone, not too loud and annoying when crusing on the highway, i want people to know that i got a v8, i want that v8 rumble to be noticed by me and other people. I dont want to gut the cat or anything. When installing that do you just cut off the old muffler and weld on the straight pipe(glass pack) ?? Let me know thanks!

·
Go Rangers!!
3,159 Posts
I was at vip today and i see a few glass pack's for cheap, their was the purple hornie for 40 bucks and a red hot glass pack for 20 bucks, anyways what do you think of them for a 5.2? Do they have a good tone, not too loud and annoying when crusing on the highway, i want people to know that i got a v8, i want that v8 rumble to be noticed by me and other people. I dont want to gut the cat or anything. When installing that do you just cut off the old muffler and weld on the straight pipe(glass pack) ?? Let me know thanks!
I used to have a 5.2, and I had a cherry bomb on it, sounded real good, no crackling no popping, but I also had a magnaflow hi-flow cat converter, after the muffler I put a little turndown on it to aim the exhaust to the ground and it all sounded really good.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
They sound good on v-8's, just use it as a replacement for a muffler.

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
i had it on my old dur dumped at the rear...super loud. lol.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
soo sould i just get a chrome tip for it or something, will it even reach that far? or get a little turndown piece for it ? how do you install it? Just cut the old muffler off at where and weld the glass pack on ??

·
Banned
25,820 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
hey is that the edelbrock air filter if so keep an eye on it it will start breaking down when it gets old and coming apart. and guess were it goes. btw whats that bulge in youre pipe. looks like a snake ate a golf ball :bump:

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Funny, glasspack yo!

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,227 Posts
Whats up with two tachs?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Just keep in mind that a glass pack has a limited lifespan compared to a steel muffler. The fiberglass packing used for noise reduction will deteriorate over time, mostly from engine heat.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Never had a Glasspack

But I loved my 13 inch Si/DO dynomax superturbo on my 4.7 Quad CAb. Deep, loud, throaty almost nascar truck type sound quality when you floored it. Rumble you could hear and others could hear around you when idling in traffic. But zero drone under any circumstances and never ever annoying once the rpms settled down on the highway. I had the pipes routed at an angle behind the mudflaps and never messed with cats or headers. One of the best compromises I've heard so far between letting everybody know what you have without being annoying inside the truck. People said they could hear me a couple blocks away but it never sounded bad or obnoxious from the driver's seat. It replaced an 18 inch magnaflow that had an irritating drone in certain part throttle situations where the engine was under moderate load, such as gentle accelaration from a light or uphill.

From your questions about tone quality and highway irritation level I don't think you would regret paying 50-80 bucks for a higher quality muffler.

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
personally i loved the sound of a glasspack on an old 318 or 360. espessially sound nice with the stock piping still on. have a real deep throaty idle and tone when u walk on it...

·
Journeyman Fabricator
373 Posts
Glass pack? :hammer: On a V8? Why not flowmaster, hooker or borla... Personally I really dont like glass packs. If I could, I would crawl under all the imports, cars, trucks, and cut the things off with a hacksaw haha. Get the old school muscle car / truck sound and go with something like flowmaster :mullet:

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Flowmaster is for old men with no real knowledge of cars. Seen it so many times before. Flowmaster is a waste of money!

·
Journeyman Fabricator
373 Posts
I have flowmaster on my 96 camaro and it has a very noticeably improved sound and performance. I swear by flowmaster, although I have never tried any aftermarket exhaust on my dodge truck as of yet.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts