Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
What are you looking for exactly? What type of sound? What kind of money are you talkin about spendin?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want something obnoxiously loud, but something that is deep and throaty. I would prefere the exhaust to be under $400, but if it requires a little more then what choice do I have?

S

·
0 Posts
Well, alot of it depends on what you are looking for... i.e. simplicity and availibility of services. For a catback system that you can install yourself you are looking at roughly $400. If you want to go the way that I am looking at (if I can ever get the money and keep it for longer than a day - gotta start hiding it better.... the little woman has a money radar than can find it anywhere), I am going to go with either a magnaflow muffler or a Flowmaster 70 series with a single 3 inch pipe straight out the back. I have a muffler shop here in town that will do it for $150 bux - straight pipe from the Y back (cut off the 3rd cat) to the muffler and then from there out to the side in the factory location. This way I can get out for about $220 to $240 depending on which muff I go with.

S

·
0 Posts
I want the GSMotorsports setup as well... just don't have that kind of cash at the moment.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for the help, I think that I am going to find a local place to do the piping and just buy the muffler seperate so that I can save some cash... Money is such a horrible thing to waste... Thanks again!

D

·
0 Posts
Both the Dynomax and Flowmaster cat back systems are less than $200 from Jegs.com. I have in an order with Mrs. Cluase for a 3" Flowmaster system with the quieter 50 series muffler. I believe it was list as $175 at Jegs.

D

·
0 Posts
Jegs and Summit Racing have about the same prices. I just find getting around the Summit web page a little more difficult so Jegs usually gets my business. If I am not mistaken Jegs has free shipping but the do have a handling charge that will be $5-$10 bucks, so I guess that is your shipping charge.

There is no reason for what amounts to a muffler and tailpipe to cost any more than that. You could do it cheaper at a local muffler shop but you likely won't get the manderal bent pipe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i got my flowmaster 40 series catback for 340. I wasn't worried about that price at tall, it's awesome! I find myself driving with my windows down a lot of the time rather than listening to music. you can't beat flowmaster...

I

·
0 Posts
If anyone wants to actually "HEAR" the difference, you can shoot over to my site at www.intense-dakota.com and if you click on "Exhaust Sounds" on the left, I have quite a few on there from our trucks. Also if anyone has one, please send them my way to [email protected]..

Hope this help.

T

·
0 Posts
I just installed a flowmaster cat-back on my 98 Durango 5.9L. It was the truck/SUV kit with the 70 series muffler. It was $300 shipped from Prostreetonline.com.

Well, I'm used to imports, so when the first instruction was, take a hacksaw or sawsall and cut 2 1/4 inches before stock muffler to remove I was like, wtf? What's the purpose of buying a kit then?

The piping in the kit isn't any bigger than stock, and its not stainless steel, so I'd just buy the 70 series muffler, get a couple clamps, and do what I did for the flowmaster kit instructions for the lone muffler. Sawsalling upside-down is an experience.

Sound is good (I wanted quiet, but some performance) -- shows off my V8 at WOT. I don't need uber loud, if I did, I'd get in my Talon. =) They have louder mufflers tho. Performance has increased (slight) as well as gas mileage (also slight).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts