Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was sitting at a stop light, the door locks randomly locked and un-locked. My knee wasn't on the button, the keyless entry device was free and not touching anything and I was all alone. When I came back from the store I used the keyless entry and went for the door handle when it locked! I finally got in and went home. I got out and hit the lock on the keyless entry and it locked. I walked away and heard it un-lock. I turned around and it locked. I went inside and came back out without the keyless entry device thinking something was wrong with it. I get five feet from the car and it un-locks! I was going crazy I thought. I threw out my arms in disbelief and it locked! I am not making this up at all this is exactly how it happened. I think I need to take it in huh guys?

·
Registered
599 Posts
While I can't say I've had this problem with our durango, we have this problem with our other car ( a 93 grand am) with the power locks locking and unlocking at random.... Also a friend of mine had a nissan sentra that did that as well.

What is happening is your power door lock rocker switch is either has a loose or faulty connection. Having it replaced is a fairly small opperation involving pulling the door panel and replacing the switch ( finding which switch it is may take longer than actually replacing it.)

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
you may want to take it in. it might happen with the keys inside at the mall or something. :D

G

·
me 2

I have had the same ridiculously annoying problem. I will be driving down the road and click - click all friggin night. it happens randomly about twice a month. I brought in and the dealer said i was crazy.... I swear I thought my remote was shorting out or dampness was causing it... I don't know but there was a few instances i would set my locks on and I would walk away form my truck and actually hear them unlock automatically... The dealer says I should bring the truck in when it is actually doing it... it hasn't for a month or so.... keep me updated on your situation....

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
if i can find it i think there is a recall for this:
what happens is that when your D gets wet moisture seeps in between the glass and the door causing like a shortage or something like that

G

·
I took it to the dealer yesterday and they think they found the problem. They thought the driver side door locking motor was shorting out and they replaced. I hope this works. The moisture thing makes sense because I notice it happens more in damp or rainy weather. I will keep you guys updated....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine hasn't acted up in a week or so...the last thing i remember doing was putting the key in the drivers door and making it lock and unlock that way.....maybe a loose connection or something i dunno but its not doing it anymore....

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Its #15 on the list.

08-041-00 JAN 01 Door Locks - Intermittently Lock/Unlock Themselves

I had this happen for the first time on my 2003 D this weekend. Pretty wierd. Haven't driven it that much yet to see if it returns or not. If/when you find out whats going on, post it. I would like to know... Thanks...

G

·
I am waiting for the parts to come in from dodge. when i find out what they replaced i will let you know.... from what i understand it is a common problem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts