Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 40 series flowmaster is just too loud for me dumped before the rear axle (makes the gray plastic piece under rear window rattle), and im looking for a new muffler. i want something that gives the best flow out there, but it has to be fairly quiet at cruising speeds. i was thinking dynomax or magnaflow ultraflow?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have you though of putting a tail pipe on the muffler and have it dumping out in the stock location? That will make a significant differnce.

FWIW, I have a Flowmaster cat back system on my Dakota with the 3.9l v6. This system is made up of a 2.5" in 50 series Flowmaster and a 3" out manderal bent 3" tailpipe. Nice rumble at idle but only slightly louder than stock going down the road.

I think you will find that if you go with any kind of straight thru muffler you are going to have some resonance in the cab especially if you do not have a tail pipe. The Dynomax Super Turbo muffler is a reverse flow design and has always ranked at or near the top of muffler comparison tests for flow and they are very quite too. This muffler is one of the best bargains out there too. It can be had from Jegs or Summit for around $35.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i took the tail pipe off beacuse it looks like crap when its on there, old rusty pipes coming out from under my clean back end/roll pan. i have also heard that the super turbo muffler flows excellent and is fairly quiet, so i will probably get that one unless someone has anything else to add?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Super Turbo

I have a Super Turbo 11710 on it's way right now. Hopefully will get here in time to get it installed this weekend.... If you've got room for it (long wheel base), I've heard good things about the 17698... lots of flow, yet quiet in the cab. It's 3" in and out.

I didn't go with it since I want to use my stock 2.5" tailpipe, so i ordered its "baby brother" the 11710 which is 2.5" in and out....

Ever thought of putting a 90-degree tailpipe on it and dumping it out the side in front of the rear tire?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Super Turbo

Kent said:
Ever thought of putting a 90-degree tailpipe on it and dumping it out the side in front of the rear tire?
yeah but if i do that i want it to come out both sides, and that is more work than i want to do

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the flowmaster 40 series deltaflow mufflers sound just as good as the regular 40 series but have a quieter interior noise level.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im partial but if the Flowmaster is to loud for you then I suggest you get yourself a BORLA TURBO, its still has a nice rumble to it but not as loud as the Flow. Also, it does give the performance gains that they claim, you'll notice it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts