Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a '98 durango 4x4 5.2 with 180k, i have used the search button looking at all the seafoam threads and theres a few ways people do it. Soo idk if i should go ahead and buy 2 cans or just stick with one. I think im gonna pop off the air hat and pour it down the tb, but idk how much, half a can? then i would like to pour half to a whole can in the gas tank, and i will make sure i have a half tank and i will pour in the sea foam in at the gas station and then i will pour it down the tb. I say screw putting it down the crank case and the vacuum line? is the tb&gas tank i good combo? and how much for each? will i need to change my plugs or oil if i do the tb&gas tank ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
There are some very good direstions on the can. Just do it the way it recommends, pour some down the throttle body and dump the rest in the tank.

Chris

·
99 Durango 5.9 part out
1,252 Posts
Like Wyoming said, great directions on the seafoam site, but I wouldn't pour it down the TB, there's a how to thread posted last week about removing and cleaning the TB. You'll end up w/ it in the kegger and eating your belly pan gasket, then you'll have real problems. Crank case should only be driven for like 30-50 miles b4 an oil change, or if you leave it in all the time you've got to follow the directions and check your oil regularly and be ready to change it at any time. Nothing wrong w/ the vacuum line.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok soo i wont pour it down the tb. I was just iffy on pouring it in my crank case because it might loosen up gunk inside the engine holding it together, cause i have 180k on my motor. And i didnt want to pour it in my vacuum line because it will only get to one head, that's what i heard. but if its safe to pour it in my crank case even with the high mileage i will do it cause im ready for an oil change anyways, i would change it after about 50 miles after putting it in my crankcase and gask tank.

·
99 Durango 5.9 part out
1,252 Posts
ok soo i wont pour it down the tb. I was just iffy on pouring it in my crank case because it might loosen up gunk inside the engine holding it together, cause i have 180k on my motor. And i didnt want to pour it in my vacuum line because it will only get to one head, that's what i heard. but if its safe to pour it in my crank case even with the high mileage i will do it cause im ready for an oil change anyways, i would change it after about 50 miles after putting it in my crankcase and gask tank.
It will break up crap after you pore it in the crank case, that's why you need to change the oil right after. 50 miles is max I'd say one trip 30 miles. Keep an eye on the oil after the change too, it might get dirty fast.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh btw will pouring it through the crank and gas tank will that foul my plugs ? i want to make sure soo i can have new ones handy if it does. Soo i will be fine with just one can ? One half crank case one half gas tank ??

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got it today, but i want to know if it will foul my plugs up if i put it in my crankcase and gas tank.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Crankcase no, gas tank not if you do it once. Here are some plugs from a guy that liked seafoam enough to use it in every other tank.

And then he wondered why his RV ran like shit and ended up blaming our plugs for it. :jerkit:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i'm only gonna be putting it in the gas tank once. What do you reccomend for performance plugs ? And is half the can in the tank and the other half in the crank case ok to do ?

·
Registered
237 Posts
1 pint of Seafoam treats up to 25 gallons of fuel, so you can do a half can in half-full tank of fuel. The other half I put into the Throttle Body, but not drowning it. Just light stream into it. It is really easy to do.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh yes, i found this thread a few days ago, i saved it cause i will defently do it this spring., or i might even wait and just get a ported tb.

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
you're perfectly fine to pour it down the Throttle Body. Just not a half a can, or the bitch would never start again lol

Here's what you do..

Take the air hat off, crank the truck, with the truck running slowly pour the sea-foam down the TB until the truck dies, once it dies, pour a little more in. Let it sit 5-10 minutes, go smoke a cigarette or something..when your done with that, crank the truck, don't rev it too much, just give it enough gas to keep it running. the smoke show should start any second.

18,185 Posts
There's nothing wrong with pouring it down the TB, as long as you pour it slowly it's not gonna sit in the intake. Pour 1/3 down the TB and put the rest in the tank.... you should also physically shut the truck of and not drown it out with the seafoam, and do not pour in more with the engine off.

Also don't rev the shit out of it once you start the tuck back up, upping the rpm is fine but a lot of people go overboard

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
will pouring down the tb foul the plugs ? Soo i guess i will do the tb then, only 1/3 and some in the crank case and some in the gas tank.

·
99 Durango 5.9 part out
1,252 Posts
There's nothing wrong with pouring it down the TB, as long as you pour it slowly it's not gonna sit in the intake. Pour 1/3 down the TB and put the rest in the tank.... you should also physically shut the truck of and not drown it out with the seafoam, and do not pour in more with the engine off.

Also don't rev the shit out of it once you start the tuck back up, upping the rpm is fine but a lot of people go overboard
will pouring down the tb foul the plugs ? Soo i guess i will do the tb then, only 1/3 and some in the crank case and some in the gas tank.
I wouldn't want to pour it down my tb, it'll pool up in the manifold and eat your belly pan gasket that's already prone to leaking if your stock. Removing the tb to clean it isn't that difficult, a couple how to's on here walk you through it, you could do it w/ out the how to.

somebody was telling me to dip the pcv in a cup of the stuff. is that recommended?
It'd probably just clean it up, I don't see a real problem w/ that, but you should search the seafoam site for that first.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if pouring it down the tb is just ment to clean it and nothing else i wont do it even if doesnt ruin anything i wont do it. im just gonna stick with half can crankcase half can gas tank.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts