Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 01 durango with the 4.7l engine.,... im having trouble with it getting hot while towing my boat. I've tryed different thermostats, a new water pump, flushing cooling system,. and even tryed different coolants,.. still gets hot towing. Any one have the same issue, or ideas on getting it to stay cool? Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just towing. hot days are fine,.. even with ac running. Maybe theres a after market fan that will move more air across the radiator? Or maybe power add ons will make it run cooler and not so stressed pulling.

·
I hate you people.
2,844 Posts
My dad towed his 21 foot Hurricane deck boat(Sun 210, I believe) and the only thing he complained about is 10 mpg. :funny:
Do you take the boat up through any of the mountains? If so, the air is a little thinner than at lower elevations, so you are not pulling enough air to cool the engine.
One thing you haven't tried yet is a new electric fan that pulls more cfm than stock, I'm talking a 1000+ cfm. While you at it, check your clutch fan, sounds like it may be freewheeling all the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the clutch fan is working ok,.. im all for the electric fan,... i do go up some hills,.. thats when it gets the hottest,. but still on flat ground it runs way hotter than it should i believe. How do i go about getting ahold of the right electric fan?

·
My horns hold up my halo!
5,992 Posts
sounds like you need to wire you elec. fan into a switch on your dash board so you can turn it on and off when needed.... maybe upgrade to a better fan

·
1700 + 1/4 mile passes
27,281 Posts

·
That Guy
23,438 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
wo wo wo wo does this fan work with my 98? Ive been looking for an electric fan setup for my truck.
Yes the universal Flex-A-Lite 180 fan will fit in a '98 Dakota. The pic below is one I put in my '98 R/T. You can make it fit with the supplied brackets but for a cleaner job you may have to do some tweaking. I can also get a good price on the universal Flex-A-Lite 180 electric fan.

Take a look at the following link: http://stores.hi-potek.com/-strse-89/Flex-dsh-A-dsh-Lite-180-X-dsh-Treme-Electric/Detail.bok

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
242 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.