Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next week i'm taking the durango to the tranny shop and having them change the filter and fluid out of the 44re, i will be putting in royal purple max atf multi spec, and idk what filter yet, i belive i need to get 5 quarts of the tranny fluid for just doing a pan drop, and then i'm going to be having them change the rear end fluid, i'll be getting royal purple max gear 80w-90, now how much do i have to get for my rear end ? and how do i find out if my rear end is a 8 1/4 or a 9 1/4 ? Also how do i know if i have the traclock soo i will have to get that friction addative? Then i'm gonna be putting royal purple fluid in the transfer case, idk which stuff i put in that or how much?? Did i leave anything else out to change the fluids ? besides my motor which i just run penzoil high mileage motor oil cause i have 180k on her. I'm getting all this done for $150 not including the fluids and the filter and gaskets. Oh i forgot the royal purple max gear, has the friction modifier in it allready.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Mind if I ask why you are going to RP ATF? It's cheaper to get the Mopar stuff and if you're doing it to get full synthetic in there ATF+4 is already a synthetic.

Transfer case doesn't care what you give it as long as it's automatic transmission oil.

As for the rear-end you've got the 9.25. 3 bottles if you don't need the additive and 2 if you do. You should have about 3/4 of the 3rd bottle left over.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Why the Royal Purple? I used Valvoline 75w90 for the rear and Valvoline ATF+4 for the tranny and transfer case. You can do all this for less than $100 yourself, it is not hard. The trans filter at Autozone is $11 and comes with a gasket, and you just use RTV for the rear diff no gasket. The Transfer case is just a matter of removing one bolt to drain, and then filling through the fill plug right above that. Save yourself some money and do it yourself, I wouldnt spend tons of money on Royal Purple for a truck with 180k on it.

·
Insomniac
1,543 Posts
I used valvoline atf4 in my trans and valvoline synthetic 75w90 in the diff. If your rear end cover has 12 bolts and an octogon shape, its a 9.25, if its round and has 10 bolts, its an 8.25. I needed 7 quarts to fill my trans back up, but it may have been a little low due to a leaking pan... Just put in 5 qts through the filler neck at first, and then add more as needed. Any parts store should have a filter and gasket kit for the trans, and also get a new gasket for your rear end cover. You'll probably need 2 bottles of gear oil to fill the rear end back up... just fill it up till it gets to the hole and put the rubber grommet back in and your good.

·
Insomniac
1,543 Posts
Oh.. and to find out if you have a LSD, look in the glove box first. If its not in there, jack up the rear axle and turn one tire foreward with your hand. If the other tire turns the opposite way... you have an open diff. If the other tire turns foreward also, you have a limited slip, and will need to get the friction modifier.

·
the blue blur...
2,436 Posts
i changed to all royal purple in my 03. it made a pretty noticeable difference. truck was more spirited, felt smoother when shifting, and i picked up a couple mpg's. that was my experience, but i also never got a chance to try anything but the royal purple. i will say this too, i know several ppl who changed to all royal purple fluids and picked up 9-11 hp at the wheels on the dyno...they were mustangs though. of course, i'm sure just switching everything to synthetic in general will gain that.

edit: btw, i agree with saving money and doing it yourself. i had never done mine before and managed to change both transmission and rear end out in about 3 hours, including drain time and sandwich breaks. it really isnt hard. the transmission was a little more difficult for me because my truck was lowered and i had a low profile jack so it was a little more cramped than i prefered, but it all went smooth.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Oh.. and to find out if you have a LSD, look in the glove box first. If its not in there, jack up the rear axle and turn one tire foreward with your hand. If the other tire turns the opposite way... you have an open diff. If the other tire turns foreward also, you have a limited slip, and will need to get the friction modifier.

Never knew this trick. I came to the conclusion i did not as i had nothing in the glove box and my build sheet just said "corporate 9.25 LD Rear axle".

What would happen if you (hypotheticly speaking) had lsd but did not add the friction modifier, and say its been like that for about 9 months? Would it cause any intermittent grinding noises at low speeds while only accelerating and coasting but have the noise stop when braking.....? (hypotheticly speaking that is...)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
thanks for the specs wink, and i belive i don't need to add the friction modifier in the rearend, because the royal purple max gear allready has it in the oil.

http://www.royalpurple.com/gear-oil.html

Now how much gear oil will i need for the transfer case ? and will it be the same weight 80w-90 like the rear end ?

Also have i left out anything else to change the fluids out of, for the drive train ? I have tranny, rear end, and transfer case.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
You do not put gear oil in the tcase!!! It's ATF of pretty much any kind!

And the tire trick only works in neutral... If you have the car in park when you do it trying to turn one wheel should get you a wheel that doesn't turn past the slack in the drivetrain.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok i will put the royal purple max atf multi spec in the transfer case, now i just need to know the capasity of the transfer case.

Did i leave anything else out to change the fluid out of for the drivetrain ??

·
Registered
429 Posts
Never knew this trick. I came to the conclusion i did not as i had nothing in the glove box and my build sheet just said "corporate 9.25 LD Rear axle".

What would happen if you (hypotheticly speaking) had lsd but did not add the friction modifier, and say its been like that for about 9 months? Would it cause any intermittent grinding noises at low speeds while only accelerating and coasting but have the noise stop when braking.....? (hypotheticly speaking that is...)
You actually do not need friction modifier. An LSD with no additive will hold better, but it makes it pop sometimes when going around a corner.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok i'm buying the fluids today, i just need to make sure i have enough and not to much, but i guess it's ok to have a little. there's a bit of math involved here. I'm pretty sure i know how much i need to get but i want to make sure. Ok for the tranny (44re) I need 4 quarts for the filter change, and for the transfer case i need 3 pints, and the pints to quarts conversion is 1 pint = half a quart, soo that's 1 and half quarts for the transfercase soo i will just buy 2 quarts, soo i need to buy 6 quarts of royal purple max atf, Now onto the front and rear axle. The front axle holds 3 pints soo again thats 1 and half quarts of royal purple max gear oil which will be 75w-90 correct ? soo i will get 2 quarts of gear oil and for the rear axle it takes 4.8 pints soo i will need to get 3 quarts soo all together i need 5 quarts of 75w-90 gear oil

soo what i need to buy is 6 quarts of atf
5 quarts of gear oil 7w-90

Also what should i get for a gasket for the front axle ? The same as the rear axle?

Does the amount of fluids i need to get sound right for the front and rear axle, the tranny(filter&fluid change) and the transfer case ?

·
Insomniac
1,543 Posts
ok i'm buying the fluids today, i just need to make sure i have enough and not to much, but i guess it's ok to have a little. there's a bit of math involved here. I'm pretty sure i know how much i need to get but i want to make sure. Ok for the tranny (44re) I need 4 quarts for the filter change, and for the transfer case i need 3 pints, and the pints to quarts conversion is 1 pint = half a quart, soo that's 1 and half quarts for the transfercase soo i will just buy 2 quarts, soo i need to buy 6 quarts of royal purple max atf, Now onto the front and rear axle. The front axle holds 3 pints soo again thats 1 and half quarts of royal purple max gear oil which will be 75w-90 correct ? soo i will get 2 quarts of gear oil and for the rear axle it takes 4.8 pints soo i will need to get 3 quarts soo all together i need 5 quarts of 75w-90 gear oil

soo what i need to buy is 6 quarts of atf
5 quarts of gear oil 7w-90

Also what should i get for a gasket for the front axle ? The same as the rear axle?

Does the amount of fluids i need to get sound right for the front and rear axle, the tranny(filter&fluid change) and the transfer case ?
the amount of fluid sounds about right to me. I dont have 4x4 so Im not 100% sure, but Im pretty sure the front axle is different than the rear axle. Just go to like napa or something and they'll ask you the make/model and tell them you have 4x4 and need a new front axle gasket.... the computer will know what it is.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh i went everywhere for the front and rear gasket even the dealership, they said they dont make thenm anymore and just to use rtv sealant.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts