Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone converted to an electric cooling fan on a Gen II? I can't find a fan clutch for my 5.2 that doesn't sound like a Mack truck. I have seen where they are doing it on later models. Might just have to go to the pick and pull and look around. I took my fan clutch off over the weekend and drove it down the road and back before it got to hot. The engine seems to even rev better at take off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might have to look at that. Those are hard to find around here. Don't know that I've seen one in the parts yards. I have a FSM. I'll look in there and see if it shows it. I'm going to meassure the radiator and see what Flex Fan has in there catalog. The 2.5 radiator may be smaller so then the fan would be smaller. That would be the main thing I would have to check. Is your's a 2.5? If so, does the fan have a shroud that covers the radiator core and what are the demensions of the core? Is there any where that gives the CFM rating on the 2.5 fan?

·
Registered
864 Posts
I converted mine, I used a fan off a Ford Taurus, been on there for a few years works great, it was pretty easy to get mounted up, its been a while but I dont recall it having been an issue. I do have a 3.9L but my other tuck has a 5.2L there is plenty of room for the fan to fit in there. It does draw some serious power to run though so be sure to have something like a 130A alternator. You will want a GOOD fan controller something in the $90 range. and maybe an auxiliary high amperage relay. I want to say mine is something like a 100A+ relay the starting draw from the fan is pretty hard amp draw spike.

My truck never gets hot really, temps will rise a little if i am running the engine at 4.5k+ rpm and up for extended amount of times but it never gets very hot at all with that, I do also have a new rad and 180 thermostat (3yrs old now) Its never overheated on me even just sitting at a stop on a 90 degree+ day nor through running the truck through its paces on the track. To put into perspective the other intense heat in my engine bay from on-track time was my power steering fluid nearly boiling, but the engine coolant temp was holding fine and the electric fan was more than capable of keeping it cool after each 20 minute on track session running the engine in the 4k-6k rpm range.

·
9,489 Posts
Its not pulling anywhere near 100a. The stock Ford relays are only rated 40a and the 3.8L Taurus only has a 90a alternator. They are damn good fans though. Cheap as hell too - they can usually be had for $60 or less.

No need to use an expensive controller either. Just temp switches for 180 and 200 (or whatever you want your turn on temps to be), a couple relays/sockets, some wire,and a couple diodes are all you need.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yeah your probably right on the relays and junk I just didn't want to deal with any issues on my setup, the mustang guys use the same fan all the time though and I swear the starting amp draw of the fan was pretty high like in the 90A range for a second then falling off to about 35A when its fully spooled up. I actually did a test on it myself with a fluke multimeter before I got my stuff, I didn't want anything failing on me so I got some pretty beefy parts likely over kill for it to ensure it would be OK for extended use. Also I am pretty sure that the Taurus has a 3G 130A alternator, I may be wrong but i remember its on the list of 130A Alts to sue on the fox mustang 3G conversion which I did on my girlfriends Mustang GT. My dad has had 2 Taurus (whatever the hell the plural form for that name is...) as well and both had the 130A Alt. I have a 130A in my truck as well and its pretty noticeable when the fan kicks on my voltage gauge noticeably drops at idle when it kicks the fan on. I do however have an under drive pulley on the crank, but the alternator is over driven to compensate. But honestly I probably need to run a new power wire I'm sure the stock one isn't the greatest at getting power out after 21 years or so.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Tarus fan is what I have in mind. I want something that will take the place of the existing shroud. I just need to figure my wiring out. I would like to have it to where it would run all the time with the A/C on. It gets kinda toasty here with temp and heat index. I think there will be enough room to do this. There is 3.5"between the rad. and the water pump threaded shaft. The core is 26" x 18".

·
Registered
864 Posts
Most fan controllers also have an ac override, you could also manually setup the same with a second relay hooked to the ac clutch wiring.

·
Nonregistered User
374 Posts
I have an E-fan from a Chevy HHR. Top-to-bottom fit is perfect, but it's about an inch shorter side-to-side. But I made up the difference with my mounting brackets, which is nothing more than some 90-degree aluminum extrusion. The cheap (and light) stuff from the home improvement stores. I simply drilled a few holes in it to line up with the existing holes in the radiator from the original shroud. I also cut the front "shield" off the shroud, it cleared just fine since our engines are offset towards the passenger's side. But I wanted some extra clearance just to be safe.

I'm controlling it with a cheap fan switch from Jegs that turns the fans on at 185. I used a Tee spliced into the intake at the heater hose with a thread in switch; DO NOT use those "probes" that jam between the fins of your radiator. Since the over flow tank is built into the factory shroud (I think, I never had a shroud) I used a cheap plastic catch can from Summit, very simple.

With all that said and done, I can honestly say that I didn't notice any power gains afterwards. And it cooled just the same as my mechanical fan without a shroud, except it would over heat anytime I turned my AC on...I'm blaming the weather on that though, we had a HOT summer in Kansas this year with temps. ranging from 105-115 all summer long.

For what it's worth; I'm running the mechanical fan again....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm also building a V8 S10. I was looking on their site and found this.

http://www.v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14222

Maybe it could help. Alot of good information there. They are using the Tarus fan setup also. Seems like a good setup. Guess it's time for a trip to the pick-n-pull!

Thanks for the info Longslide. I'm not doing it so much for the power gains as much as for the noisy clutch fan. I have tried three or four different ones and they are all loud.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine sounds like that every time you start off, no matter how long it been running or how hot it is. The original one that went out didn't sound like that. I have spent enough on fan clutches to have done the e-fan swap. I'm looking at a 2000 Durango with the 5.2 and it sounds the same way. Will be the first thing to change on it too!

·
Getting Old
5,037 Posts
It is extremely simple to put an e-fan in your truck. I even have one you could buy. It mounted to the radiator with plastic zip tie type strips and I just had it running off a toggle on/off switch. Just has to be mounted off set to the water pump. Or you could set it up as a pusher. There is tons of room in front of the radiator and grill/bumper.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm using a dual fan from an 01 Intrepid. It fits the radiator really well.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,364 Posts
HHR fan... $60 shipped from Rock Auto.
I like the price and I've seen it installs nicely. BUT what are you using for a wiring/relay? Dual fan Hayden one with radiator probe? Is there anything bad about using a radiator probe?

·
Registered
575 Posts
This thread needs pics!
This is on my to-do list before summer returns here in Phx. aka hotter than shit land...

In the mean time here's one to get us by

·
Registered
46 Posts
Soooo.... its 2016 now, after a few years I decided to kick up this old thread, have we anything new on the e-fan situation?

possible options from this and other threads found include:

viper fan
Jeep grand Cherokee recall fan p/n cbg4f250
chevy hhr fan
dodge intrepid fan
four Taurus 3.8 fan
2.5L Dakota fan

My 408 starts getting hot if sitting in traffic with the a/c on... i have a 180 tstat, flowcooker water pump and a modine 3 row radiator (it looks stock so I'm sure if it really is anything special, I bought it this way)

is there a good enough fan system that can:

1)be easily modified to fit the gen II 91-96 Dakota radiator
2)keep a stroker motor cool when in 100 degree weather with the a/c on
3)look like it came that way and doesn't need to be cobbled in

ive thought about adding an auxiliary fan that is set up to come on only with the a/c in addition to my clutch fan... but if there is a good enough system that could handle eliminating the clutch fan completely id go that route... I would wiring it in properly not through a toggle switch, that seems crazy to me...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts