Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I managed to pick up an old Gen II Reg Cab 4cyl 5spd truck. Yeah i know i know most people would say just let it go to the scrap yard but I had one of these before and was only a stone throw away from having it completely turboed which will be the ultimate goal once again. I unfortunately at the time had to move and abandon the project.

This truck I rescued has been sitting on this shops lot for months and he had a sign in it and said he wanted $1500. Well i figured not bad its a real clean looking truck. Then he starts it and all hell is making noise under the hood and in the exhaust and who knows what else is going wrong. Truck would not idle on its own. Rattling like crazy from the engine and body...haha

So in any case ive been sitting on it and he finally cut the price to $800 saying if it didnt sell he was going to part it out and I said Id take it since I had one like it and loved it before.

So I BARELY drove it 3 miles to my dads house and into his garage. Died on me twice on the way there and I really thought it wasnt going to start back up.

In any case, $500 in parts later this thing purrs like a kitten and it has 247k miles on it!! It just needed a tune up, tps sensor, and fuel pump. Those were the major things. And then I did all the normal stuff like oil, brakes, etc. Luckily the trans and clutch are good with no issues too.

Now that all is done I still have a problem. Gas gauge didnt work when I got it and after the new fuel pump assembly with a new sending unit the gas gauge is still sitting below E. Its wierd because when the truck is off the gauge will go all the way to the top to F and then when you turn the key on it drops all the way down to where it bottoms out.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Maybe the Gauge itself is bad?

·
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇ&#
13,196 Posts
Congrats on getting another Gen II to live again.

My gas gauge stays put when you shut off the key...I'm thinking either you have a ground problem, or a power back feed somewhere....if gauge was bad, it would not move at all I would think

·
Low 'N Slow
635 Posts
Congrats on the Gen II.

Two things about the 2.5 you have versus mine. 1995 and down had the chrysler 2.5 and they are really underpowered and eat up head gaskets, BUT can use the turbo parts or theoreticaly a whole engine swap from a turbo caravan. My 2.5 is the AMC pushrod engine that is used in Jeep Wranglers. More power, torque, reliability, but almost unmoddable.

Anyways, good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I was really into the 2.2/2.5 turbo world for many years and took a hiatus when I moved and im trying to get back into it. I love the engines and they have always been great to me. Granted that one time I was pushing 25PSI and blew a hole thru the cylinder head did suck :p

My old Gen II I actually had the whole thing converted and running on the Ported Fuel Injection system with a modified two piece turbo intake. It ran beautiful even with the turbo injectors in it. The only thing I needed to do was get a custom exhaust manifold made to hold the turbo as it gets to be tight quarters in that area and the stock turbo setup wouldnt work.

Ill get to it one of these days. But for now its just going to be a driver that gets decent mileage and can haul things when need be and look good doing it.

I just need to get this gas gauge thing and tachometer figured out as I know that will get really annoying.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Congrats on another GEN2. I am in the same boat saving a 4 cyl, 5-speed truck. I really need to get back on it. I am getting my body work done for now, and just going to run the stock 4-cyl until I can decide what I want to do with the motor. I original wanted to do a late model Hemi swap, then decided on a stroked out 360 just for simplicity, and now I have actually been researching just putting a turbo 4-cyl motor out of a van in it, just to be different.

Good luck with your adventures!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats on another GEN2. I am in the same boat saving a 4 cyl, 5-speed truck. I really need to get back on it. I am getting my body work done for now, and just going to run the stock 4-cyl until I can decide what I want to do with the motor. I original wanted to do a late model Hemi swap, then decided on a stroked out 360 just for simplicity, and now I have actually been researching just putting a turbo 4-cyl motor out of a van in it, just to be different.

Good luck with your adventures!
If you go the turbo route let me know as I have a lot of insight into it without having to completely swap harnesses and stuff like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm rebuilding a 93 with the 2.5 and really wanted to know how you converted the injection system to PFI? Did you run the injectors with the same computer?, how did you mod the intake, since the throttle body would run into the firewall?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm rebuilding a 93 with the 2.5 and really wanted to know how you converted the injection system to PFI? Did you run the injectors with the same computer?, how did you mod the intake, since the throttle body would run into the firewall?
Its not that hard. Ill try to point out the major items:

1. Use a two piece intake and flip it around and have it welded together. Or make your own custom intake.

2. I think I used a 91 2.5L Turbo 1 computer. The SBEC connectors are the same you just have to move a couple of pins around.

3. Need to make your own injector harness from the SBEC to the Injectors. Not hard just follow the pinouts.

4. You will need to put in a dual point magnetic pick up and take the stock distributor and put a hole in one of the metal plates for the reluctor to work right. Oh and a small harness will need to be made for the 2nd plug for the pick up.

I think that is pretty much all the hard stuff. You do not need entire harnesses swapped out or anything crazy like that. Once I started to get into the wiring and looking at all the pinouts a lot of stuff is the same and just needed minor tweaking. And a few small harnesses made to fill the gaps.

The only problem I ran into when flipping the upper part of the two piece intake around was the throttle cable itself. I never found a good throttle cable long enough. I came close when I was routing through the parts store and made it work though it wasnt the greatest.

Also, if you are going to be running without the turbo for any length of time you should consider getting smaller injectors as your gas mileage will go to krap.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any more questions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts