Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think im going to do a Gear swap...I think I have a pinion seal & bearings going out, so I thought it would be a good a time as any at that point to do a gear swap...:mullet:

I have a 355 lsd now, and was thinking of going to a 392, but would like some input on this!!

I do mostly on the road city driving out here in Palm springs, and the average speed limit here is 50 mph...I DONT do a lot of Stop & Go, and am also a conservative driver, although I do like to get on it from time to time..:D

I do want to keep Highway driving in mind when choosing gears so 456's
are out as an option.

Maybe 392's or 410's....what do you think & tell me why.

Thanks....RJS....

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Go with 4.10's not much different then 3.92

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Particular Brand you can recommend, I can spend the money, so I want a Quality set.....

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
No idea :sorry: I heard richmond is the worst though.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
130 Posts
Get with Randy's ring & pinion. http://www.ringpinion.com/DiffTypes.aspx What size tire are you running? Plans on any other changes? What do you want to get out of the swap? You could borrow some shorter tires & see how it runs, with the current diameter & the diameter of the tires you borrow I could see what gear ratio that would be comprable.

Toby

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just read your post again & saw that you have a V6 & taller tires, I would go with the 4.10's. 3.92's are not that much different & your engine will like the power band it would be running in better.

Toby

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just read your post again & saw that you have a V6 & taller tires, I would go with the 4.10's. 3.92's are not that much different & your engine will like the power band it would be running in better.

Toby
I would like to see a little more off the start torque....Im running a 28.5" diameter tire with the 275.60.16's, but I also have a set of 265.70.16 too that is a 30.5" diameter tire for mud & rain

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Do the math, see what you RPM will be at certain speeds and decide what cruising RPM you can deal with.

I run Motive gears. Many others do as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
MY 03 extended cab 3.9 with factory tow came with 392's. I have never been impressed with the power, but it gets the job done. But if you really want lower gearing then 410's make more sense.

Check the used car lots for 3.9's with factory tow, i bet they will have 392's you can test drive them and see what you think before you spend the cash

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do the math, see what you RPM will be at certain speeds and decide what cruising RPM you can deal with.

I run Motive gears. Many others do as well.
Is the Motive Gear a fairly Quiet gear?

·
VikingVish
254 Posts
Ooh, was wondering this myself. Yet, I live in Everett, so they're just down the road from me. Time to pay a visit. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a set of Motive gears and I only have like 3xxx miles on them I really like them and have heard great things about them

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
i agree with everyone else. got several friends who dirt track race. they hate richmond gears. they say motive is a better quality. so use them or if your lucky, find a set of low mileage oem ones on ebay, or someone selling a set after upgrading.

·
Registered
287 Posts
i switched from the stock 3.92 in my Durango RT to Aburn lockers also 3.92 ...difference between 3.92 and 4.10`s is that your rpms will be high at same speed than your 3.92 were or are,
I `m now running 285/50/20`s up from the 275/60/17`s ,,,i reprogrammed the computer to accpet new size and i run way lower in rpm`s than my 17`s did at 60 mph...All depends on what yu want to do with yur truck cruize or quick off the line .....:drive:

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,250 Posts
I am hoping to make the swap from the 3.55's to 4.10's this summer. It would be nice to have at least one more gear in the trans to go along with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts