Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it 9.25 or 8.25? I think it's the 9.25. I'm interested in putting in 3.92 gears in it because I only have 3.55's and I want to tow. I just need to know what size gears to order. I heard there is a 3.91 gear for Dodge but that doesn't pertain to the Durango does it? Anybody know where to get inexpensive gears? I was thinking Summit. How much do you think a pro install would cost? I'm guessing it would raise my rpms about 400 or so at highway speeds correct?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Fever4Fords said:
Is it 9.25 or 8.25? I think it's the 9.25. I'm interested in putting in 3.92 gears in it because I only have 3.55's and I want to tow. I just need to know what size gears to order. I heard there is a 3.91 gear for Dodge but that doesn't pertain to the Durango does it? Anybody know where to get inexpensive gears? I was thinking Summit. How much do you think a pro install would cost? I'm guessing it would raise my rpms about 400 or so at highway speeds correct?
I went from 3.55s to 4.10s, I would not waste my time with just 3.92s. On the rear axle on the drivers side there is a band of tape going around the axle housing that should tell you the gear ratio and what size rear end it is. You can also look on the glove box door in the dash. I know it has the gear ratio on the sticker on the glove box door but I don't remember if it has the rear end size or not. I bought Motive gears for mine and I have been very pleased with them. If you are going to the trouble to have the gear ratio changed then you might as well have the LSD installed if it doesn't already have it. I think I paid $225 or $250 to have mine installed. Just go to a local speed shop they should be able to help you out.
I think I'm turning 2500rpm at 70mph and 3000rpm at 85mph.

Hope this helps ya...

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FLDak, ya that does help! I saw the band you were talking about on the axle and i've got a 9.25". How much did the LSD cost extra over just regular gears? I would go 4.10s but I think that may be a little too steep for me. Also what part of NWFL are u from? I'm from Destin.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Fever4Fords said:
FLDak, ya that does help! I saw the band you were talking about on the axle and i've got a 9.25". How much did the LSD cost extra over just regular gears? I would go 4.10s but I think that may be a little too steep for me. Also what part of NWFL are u from? I'm from Destin.
He11 were next door neighbors, I'm just north of P'cola.
I bought my LSD from Speed Unlimited in P'cola I think it was about $200 for an OEM type LSD. Now you could spend more for an Auburn or some other name brand, but I just went with OEM.
Believe me, with the 4.7 especially in a Durango the 4.10s are not to steep. At interstate speeds, it puts you right there at a good rpm where the engine is making good torque. It never has to drop out of OD to pull a hill and it didn't really effect my MPG either.

Check out this link:

http://www.dodgedakotas.com/boards/per/7666.html

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's good info FLDak! What would be the big gain with going to LSD? I know exactly where Speed Unlimited is. They had your parts in stock? I go there for Mustang parts and to fill my bottle.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Durangos came with a mix of 9.25 and 8.25 axlex. It did not matter if they were R/T, SLT, SXT,5.2, 5.9, 4,7, tow package etc. The 9.25 has an octagon 12 bolt cover. The 8.25 has an oval 10 bolt cover. I assume you have a 4x2. If you have a 4x4, obviously you need to do thje front gears and you are limited in the gear ratios available for the front.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
that's a lot of money to go to a 3.92 from a 3.55. you might want to consider changing tire size as far as aspect ratio i.e. 265/75-16 to a 265/55-16 that should raise your ratio to about 3.70 -3.75, and who could'nt use new tires.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Fever4Fords said:
That's good info FLDak! What would be the big gain with going to LSD? I know exactly where Speed Unlimited is. They had your parts in stock? I go there for Mustang parts and to fill my bottle.
Traction!! Both wheel spin instead of just one.
No, Tony had to order the parts but it didn't take very long at all. Robert Tau did the install, I thought it was a reasonable price and that's who Tony recommended.

Hope this helps ya...

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I went from 355 to 392. Great difference but, wish I'd gone to 410's. Unless you do alot of freeway driving w/o towing you'll be better off.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
FLDak said:
Traction!! Both wheel spin instead of just one.
No, that's a locker. A locker literally locks both axle shafts so no traction is lost. It unlocks when not needed. This is best for people needing maximum traction on the drag strip and offroad (which would be me).

A limited-slip transfers traction to one wheel, and one wheel only. It transfers the power to the wheel that needs it, and has the most resistance, yet seem to not always do their job. An LSD will NEVER put power to both wheels at the same exact time. This is usually the best carrier to go with, since it's never harsh on the driving, and provides great traction.

An open on the other hand powers one tire, and one tire only.....which sucks. This is the worst carrier ever, and I have no clue why any company would ever put this in their vehicles (due to cost of course).

Hope that clears up some misconception...

·
Registered
107 Posts
YellowKota2k said:
No, that's a locker. A locker literally locks both axle shafts so no traction is lost. It unlocks when not needed. This is best for people needing maximum traction on the drag strip and offroad (which would be me).

A limited-slip transfers traction to one wheel, and one wheel only. It transfers the power to the wheel that needs it, and has the most resistance, yet seem to not always do their job. An LSD will NEVER put power to both wheels at the same exact time. This is usually the best carrier to go with, since it's never harsh on the driving, and provides great traction.

An open on the other hand powers one tire, and one tire only.....which sucks. This is the worst carrier ever, and I have no clue why any company would ever put this in their vehicles (due to cost of course).

Hope that clears up some misconception...
Sorry but I have to disagree with you and here why:

When I had an open carrier and the roads were wet and I pressed on the gas to hard breaking the tire loose only the right rear tire would spin while the left rear did not so the truck would go in a straight line on a level road. Now with LSD installed under the same conditions both rear tires spin and the truck will not go in a straight line. The rear end of the truck will fishtail left or right because both tires are spinning. I hope that explains it better.

Later...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mr-SXT said:
Locker's Lock both wheels
LSD locks in a straight line and gives slip on corners
OpenUnit puts all power to 1 wheel

easy enough
Very well put, I can live with that :bow:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm not trying to be offensive or anything but a lot of these guys doing burnouts in there trucks have LSD diff and both tires are smoking. Not that I condon burnouts or smoking the rear tires just for show, but that proves with LSD both tires are turning.
I agree not worth arguing about, but worth talking about :biggthump

No hard feeling, have a great day!

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
the only thing that LOCKS both axles is a spool. <<and these are track only, cuz you will eventually wear the hell out if it on the street (wheels chirpin like mad on the turns, unless you take them REAL wide.

a locker diff IS a LSD. is does give up a little on turns and such, just not as much as others. there are different types out there. some are more aggressive than others.

jim

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
realdeal7369 said:
the only thing that LOCKS both axles is a spool. <<and these are track only, cuz you will eventually wear the hell out if it on the street (wheels chirpin like mad on the turns, unless you take them REAL wide.

a locker diff IS a LSD. is does give up a little on turns and such, just not as much as others. there are different types out there. some are more aggressive than others.

jim
It's official and safe to say you have no clue what you're talking about... :biggthump

We all know a spool locks both axles together for good. It's the same as welding the spider gears together in the carrier. A Locker is NOT a LSD, or else they would be called the same thing which they're obviously not. Spool and LSD's don't make noise, because they can't. Lockers make noise because they unlock going back to an open diff when they're not needed. Would you like to see some instructional videos to prove this? :huh:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Not to call anyone down here but...

Open Diff- If one wheel loses traction, it will spin, other side wont. Your very basic diff.
LSD- Limited Slip Diff- Exactly what it says, axle side gears are held against diff case(not axle housing) by clutch pacs and springs(most common), slippage can occur, there has to be excessive torque to make it happen.(eg. turning corner) thats why LSD has special additives, to help out the clutch pac when it slips.
Full Locker Diff- The two wheel are locked together by sliding shift collars(most common) by the operator via air or electric controls(again most comon) in which case those two wheels turn together UNTIL unlocked by operator.
Spool Diff- Both wheels locked together all the time.

Hope this helps!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts