Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've done a search and found some info on this problem related to a "no bus" message, but my instruments are completely gone, no messages, nothing. Here is what happened.

I just finished putting in an 8.75 rear end in my 97 Dak. It has taken me about four months. The truck has been in my garage. When I went to start it the battery was dead. I jump started it to get it out of the garage and go for a test drive. I finally got it started and took it for a test ride. Next time I tried to start it, batt was dead. I tried to jump start, but nothing. I charged the batt, put it back in and it started right up.
Now the trouble. I have no dome light, radio, heater fan or gauges. Everything in the gauge cluster does not move. Headlights, pwr locks, pwr windows and dashlights work. When I first started it and took it for a test drive they worked because I remember the ABS and brake lights were on. I checked the fuses and they all look fine. Could it be the bus? or what? Many thanks, John.

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
"no bus" usually means the cluster is just shot. i had a cluster i pulled from the junkyard that read that when i put it in. there is a separate fuse for the gauges and lights. the gauge lights are nothing more than running lights, and as long as the ground in your cluster is hooked up, they will light when the headlights are turned on. just check all your fuses and relays. if you find a relay marked "gauges" or something, just swap it for an unimportant relay for a quick second and see if it fixes the problem.

with the battery being dead, id test the battery and if its good, start lookin for a parasitic draw when the truck is off. thats whats killing your battery if the battery itself will hold a charge normally.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll try the fuse relay replacement. After fulling charging the batt. on Monday night, it has held charge as I've started the truck every morning so far without any problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts