Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
That Guy
23,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if the orange can be scraped off the gauge needles or are they permanently orange? If possible I want to repaint mine in a translucent blue color so it light up in blue with the blue LED kit I have.

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
you can scrap them off. All I did was scrape the orange off and use sand paper on the back. The blue from the led shows off the rough back side.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
i did this as well. i scraped off the orange with a razor knife. i repainted the back with red model paint. worked pretty good. it looks red now but i wonder if by some chance the red gm needles could be made to work in our clusters? anyone know how they mount in the cluster on a gm?

·
That Guy
23,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you can scrap them off. All I did was scrape the orange off and use sand paper on the back. The blue from the led shows off the rough back side.
Pictures?

·
That Guy
23,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you mean it shows off the rough back side? Isnt the needle smooth all the way around? I figured I could use a razor to scrape off most of it and then use a fine sandpaper to get the rest.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
What do you mean it shows off the rough back side? Isnt the needle smooth all the way around? I figured I could use a razor to scrape off most of it and then use a fine sandpaper to get the rest.
He used sandpaper to rough up the backside so it is kinda like being frosted glass and catches the light instead of letting it just shine through. That way it actually all shows up blue.

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
He used sandpaper to rough up the backside so it is kinda like being frosted glass and catches the light instead of letting it just shine through. That way it actually all shows up blue.
exactly

·
Registered
168 Posts
Do you happen to have any pics?

·
Registered
168 Posts
what grit sandpaper did you use to "frost" the needle and did you just pait the top side of them?

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
what grit sandpaper did you use to "frost" the needle and did you just pait the top side of them?
idk just experiment with it. You dont want to see deep scratches so dont use something heavy. I didnt paint anything. I only sanded the tips of the needles so when the lights are on most of the needle was orange and the tip was blue.

·
The Metal Doctor
985 Posts
idk just experiment with it. You dont want to see deep scratches so dont use something heavy. I didnt paint anything. I only sanded the tips of the needles so when the lights are on most of the needle was orange and the tip was blue.
lol, im planning on doing the exact opposite. im going to leave the tips orange and the rest blue.

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
lol, im planning on doing the exact opposite. im going to leave the tips orange and the rest blue.
you may want to paint them because it just a frost color when the lights are off

·
Premium Member
74,419 Posts
i had them done in blue on the last truck, light didn't shine through very well though

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I wonder if they have any kinda like blue tinted spray paint at the craft store or something. Kinda just like a translucent blue. Might be worth checking in to.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts