Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have seen that you can use LA valve covers on the magnums. But people mentioned using LA gaskets. I have the steel/rubber reusables and would like to keep them. Would I be okay if I filled in the extra holes with RTV?

B

·
0 Posts
You will need the LA gaskets if you're installing the MP VC's on the Magunm engine because of the curve in the front of the VC. If you try to use the stock gaskets, you will have a leak.

I used the HP gaskets on mine because they are a little thicker and have never had a leak.

Make sure you disconnect the battery before you start the install because the passenger side VC is VERY close to the power wire on the back of the alternator.

·
elpoepdiputskcuf
2,493 Posts
I've got rubber coated gaskets for mine. I've never liked cork. Don't know what part no it is but they are like 15bucks from auto zone and are felpros.

·
Registered
71 Posts
MOPAR Performance makes the Rubber on Steel for the 'LA'. I know for a fact I have 2 sets on my 'LA' Due to the Edelbrock intake flange being so thick.

MP Part number P5249581AB but at summit drop the 'P'

Summit Racing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-5249581AB/

Can't beat them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
wow, I won't be dropping $60 for some valve cover gaskets. I've seen rubber on cork and plain rubber online, I haven't checked locally yet.
If you have adjustable rockers and have to take the valve covers off one time they have now become cheaper than 'Cork in a Condom' gaskets as well as much cleaner, no 'snot in a tube' needed. And they never have to be replaced, no matter how many times you remove the valve covers and they don't slip off when you are trying to put on the valve covers and they 'never ever leak'. What was that thing my Grandpa used to say, " You get what you pay for Boy".

Good Luck with the 'Cork in a Condom' gaskets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts