Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
would getting an aftermarket intake have any affect on my gas mileage? I've got the 5.9 and its currently horrible at around 14-15. just looking for any way to improve it.

edit by Adam: sorry dude I hit the wrong button :jester:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've got a '00 R/T and I get the same crappy mileage. If you just want better gas mileage don't buy the intake. It won't matter, mine sure didn't.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Statistically it will slightly. But the sound you get from a new intake makes you push it harder. So it really negates any fuel consumption advantages that the new intake had.

I would get an intake anyway though. Cheap power and a great noise.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
JRTF83 said:
would getting an aftermarket intake have any affect on my gas mileage? I've got the 5.9 and its currently horrible at around 14-15. just looking for any way to improve it.

edit by Adam: sorry dude I hit the wrong button :jester:

if your getting 14-15 then you should see a difference. I got about 11 before I got my intake. And i was on the gas alot. I haven't filled all the way up to see if I've gained any or not yet. But since gas has gone up my foot has gone up off the pedal alot too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought an 2003 Durango RT, on the 1st two tanks I got 13.5 (highway trip) and 11 on the second tank (normal everyday driving).

Anyone wanna swap gears :mullet:

Seriously are there any real things we can do for gas mileage ? The 1st two things I am going to try are the t-body spacer and air intake kit.

Anyone here think swapping gears would help ?

Any other suggestions gladly appreciated. By the way I don't expect to get 20, but 15-17 would be nice. My last truck (99 suburban 1500 4WD) averaged 16 around town and 21 on the highway with the tow package and V8. I don't understand how a smaller truck can be far worse on gas.

Thanks,
chris

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a '94 3.9 and with my tonneau cover, I can get almost 330 to a 22 gallon tank. I put a K&N intake on there and the best I've gotten so far is about 340. If I'm easy on the gas, i can get about 15 to a gallon.

·
Registered
388 Posts
In all honesty the best way to get gas mileage improvements is to cruise at 65-70 mph with your foot as light on the gas as possible. It's pretty hard to do so all the time, especially if there are asses around tailgating you while you're in the second to slow lane or so, but it does save gas. I put my intake on and noticed only about a 1-2 mpg gain, better than what it was but not enough to warrant buying an intake for mpg gain alone. Restraint is your friend...well it's mine, especially when I'm paying 2.50 a gallon and I spend 40 bucks on gas every 3 days...grrrrrr :slice:

·
Registered
388 Posts
zippycal said:
I thought gas was bad here at $1.80 a gallon.

chris
sigh, over in socal we'd kill for 1.80 a gallon...like literally kill if we could to get gas that cheap. Btw, the 2.50 is for regular 87...not even premium (our premium sucks too since it's 91 not 92,93 or 94). I found an old receipt in my drawer of my desk...back when I was in high school gas was 1.60 something for premium...those were the days... :end:

·
Registered
504 Posts
My 03 Dakota RT was getting around 12-13 miles per gallon when I first bought it. The best I have been able to get out of it is 16 – 17 miles per gallon. Not too bad considering that I had a Ford Ranger with the 4.0 V6 and 18 was the best it ever saw on the highway.

The biggest improvement that I saw in mileage gain was when I up-graded the ignition. The MSD coil and CD along with 8mm wires and NGK plugs gave me the biggest bang for the buck. The cold air intake seemed to be a wash. Some people swear by the Bosch P-4 spark plugs.

One big area to watch is your tire pressure. It cost nothing but time to maintain the correct tire pressure. You can loose about 2MPG if the pressure is too low. All of us with the 360 now know why Dodge did away with it. The 360 always was a gas hog and Dodge was not able to do much to improve it.

Higher Octane is still a myth, higher is not always better. I found that 89 gave me better mileage then 91. Synthetic oil helped some, I found that by using it I was able to stay consistent with my mileage besides it prolongs engine life and it comes from the US instead of some black hole in the Middle east.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We were at $1.39 a gallon just before the summer. I wish it were back there again. I remember about 10 years ago you could get regular around here for under $1 a gallon.

chris

·
Registered
105 Posts
I usually get anywhere from 15 to 17 mpg with everyday driving. Mods are listed below plus I run Mobil 1. Got the 4.7

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just an update for you guys, I bought one of those throttle body spacers on ebay. It was $25 including shipping, two gaskets, and the bolts. It took about 20 minutes to put on. Before the spacer I averaged 11.4 mpg (awd Durango RT). After the spacer install we have been averaging 12-12.4 as the average. Best $25 I ever spent.

chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts