Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Mopar scence so I'll try and make it brief. Are 95 Dakota's notorious for giving improper gas gauge readings? I've got a 95 with a 319 V6, 2 wheel drive and I'm certain it's a 15 gal tank. Anyways, I started with a full tank and around 250 miles I noticed I was getting low on fuel and tried to push it until I got the "amber low fuel light" and then pulled over and topped off the tank. I was only able to put in just over NINE gallons. Started the truck back up again and the gauge went back to full. Sorry for the long explanation but are the fuel tank sending units known for going bad? The truck has just over 133,000 miles, is this a common problem. Your help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Maybe you have an enormous reserve tank! LOL. I am sure someone will chime in with an actual answer.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
welcome to the boards. well if you went 250 miles on a 15 gallon tank that = 16.6 miles to the gallon. That's not bad. Maybe the gas pump was broke?

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I kind of have a similar issue. I have a 25 gallon tank. When my reqsout says that I have like 8 miles to empty and I fill up and top it off, I can only out in 21 gallons at the most. Is the remaining 4 gallons reserve? I do not feel like running out of gas to find out. I someone knows cool! If not no big deal!

·
It's not my fault!
555 Posts
Mine is the same way. I have the 22 gal tank, most I have ever put in it was 18 gal, and that was with my low fuel light on and the needle resting on empty. Been that way since day one.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Dodge must allow for a severe low fuel reserve. Kind of reminds me of the Seinfeld when Kramer test drives a Saab with the salesman and they make a pact to drive it further than anybody on a full tank of gas and then return it to the dealer as close to empty as possible. They are about to pull into the lot after driving for hours past the "E" mark when they deicide to see how far they can actually go. They run out of gas shortly later. Pretty funny episode. It was a real accomplishment for them both.

·
Registered
209 Posts
In the manual for the new durango it says that it allows for an 8-10% reserve so even when it says 0 miles to empty, you still have a couple gallons left. I know I've run it to 0 before and was only able to throw 25 gallons in and it's a 27 gallon tank.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only problem I have is that my gas gauge stays on empty all the time. I can filll it up and 3 days later have to fill up again . about 250 or so miles. I have the 25 gallon tank and never end up putting more than 22 gallons in it to fill it up. Big ol' reserve tank. push the limits and test the system. that is what you pay roadside assistance for. :dammit:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's probably your tank sensor...

I have a 93 dakota and it would only show full and empty. I removed the gas tank and replaced the sensor. It's a needle type thing that rides on a metal arc piece. Eventually this wears out. Pain to get the tank in and out...but it fixed the problem.

Dave

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think its a common problem with many Dodge Trucks. I had a friend who had a full size that all of a sudden started acting up like mine, anyway I replace mine last month on a 94 Dakota.

The sending unit is a all-in-one assembly, Pump, Filter, Sending Unit. Only some Dakota models have a fuel filter on the pump assy thats not replaceable unless you change the pump. I cut the filter housing open once I go the old pump out and found it was dirty enough to need changing.

A tip to try if you need want to repalce the pump. It take about 10 minutes to remove the truck bed and this opens the area on the tank where the pump can be removed without draining the tank. Since I changed the pump assy the gage a low fuel light work ok.

You can go to Autozone.com and check a price for your local area, I think mine ran around $89.00.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts