Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 98 dodge dakota with a 5.2 liter my hole cluster lights up and all of the dummy lights are stuck on the only thing that wont work on them are the gauges ex.. rpm, speed, does any one had an advice what could be wrong i changed the cluster three times and checked the grounds

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have the same proble,the cluster works when you first start it and then they go to zero,and the odometer blinks.is it the pcm? 98 durango

·
Premium Member
9,487 Posts
It could be.. It could also be a bad engine sensor. The cam sensor, crank sensor, and MAP sensor all share the same +5v lead. If one of these sensors fails and shorts to ground, it takes down the whole computer communication network (the gauge cluster communicates over it too).

Is it stalling out when this happens?

Does this happen when the ignition is turned on without starting the engine or only when the engine is running?

Does the odometer flash continuously or does it flash a few times and change to "NO BUS"?

Do you have a voltmeter?

·
Premium Member
9,487 Posts
Hm.. If the cruise button made the wipers come on I would venture a guess that the CTM (central timer module) crapped out and it's interfering with the communications..

·
Registered
17 Posts
So where is the ctm located?? Its not the ecu,i got a new one and still the same thing...argh
anyone have a used ctm and can i use one off a 01?

·
Premium Member
9,487 Posts
It's inside the dash to the right of the glovebox. No you can't use one off an 01, you can only use a 97-98 or possibly 99. 00 is different from 99, then 01-03 is different from 00.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts