Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9 4x4 K&N drop in Exhaust cut after Trany crossmember.
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle::

1999 Dodge Durango 5.9 4x4. 223K Pretty much stock. Exhaust cut after cross member after cat. Drop in K&N.
Have changed oil twice and thermostat. Changed Trans. filter oil torqued bands to spec. changed T case fluid. Driven to Anihiem and back from Las Vegas. Put 7k on it since purchase. PAID $40 :):)

I work full time at a auto repair and body shop. So i have access to just about any specialty tool i need. Next door my friends shop has like 5 or 6 CNC machines. Super cheap to get stuff made if i have the .dxp already. Thinking of trying to design a suspension lift as soon as i learn how they work and whats needed. Any input on this is helpful. On the other side of me is a fully equipped drive train shop. Custom shafts and such made. Actually I'll probably learn how to do it and do it myself. Ill be using them to help build my front solid axle. And on to that. At the end of the street i have junk yard. i can get things pretty cheap so im thinking of getting new front and rear axles there. There a 94 Ram 2500 8 bolt solid axles. How about those axles in the durango. $400 for the set. seem fair?

·
Registered
721 Posts
If I were to make a recommendation, ditch the K&N. They aren't ideal for a 4x4 that could see choking dust or sand flying everywhere. A K&N will not stop heavy dirt that 4x4s are more likely to be in, and will allow dirt to get into the engine. They are more at home on race cars that stay on a dirt and dust free track.

As far as the lift, a solid axle swap is a very big job. I would seriously recommend that you get help from someone whose done it before. This is not a place to learn, because if you do it all wrong, at best, you'll be disappointed and at worse, you could end up in a pine box. This doesn't mean you should let someone else build it for you, but you should have someone help, who can guide you as you work on it (We all have to learn somewhere)

In my case I had a shop do my work because I couldn't trust my welding skills at the time, which is critical.

As you go thru this journey, and research this more, you'll probably have others recommend using the Dana 60 front axle out of a Ford Superduty. Those axles tend to be more popular and a bit stronger then the Dodge Dana 60 as they have a high pinion, slightly thicker axle shafts and do not have the CAD system that Dodge uses. Having said that, I got my front axle out of a 98 Ram 3500 from a JY near me and got it for $150. I then dumped some money into strengthening it to beyond the strength of the Ford version.

One thing I'd do before purchasing the axles is check into which axles it has. Some 2500s had a Dana 44HD front end. These are significantly smaller than the Dana 60. Some 2500s had the Dana 60. The easy way to tell is look for the "44" or "60" cast into the diff housing. Rear axle is a non issue either will net you either a Dana 60 or 70 rear. If it's a Dana 44 front, I do not think $400 is a good price and I would pass. Unless of course you have no other options and are determined to solid axle swap this Durango.

With no other options, a Dana 44 would work and it's stronger than the 'Rango's Dana 35 front, but you may want to limit how big you want to go.

Ed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts