Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know what the dealer charges for a fuel sync reset? think that may be a contributer to how shes running (under 2000 rpm), she stumbles, feels like im draggin someone(lol) or something over a very tiny cobblestone street...

i askied my dealer but they are missing the cables to hook it up with...go figure.

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
J

·
0 Posts
sounds like you have a misfire. Is your check engine light on and or flashing?

G

·
0 Posts
fuel sync

My local dealer here in SLC quoted $90 (1 hour labor min) to do it - I had to change distributor on engine swap and need to get it in there this week - mine also smells a tiny rich just idling in driveway after its warmed up to temp. Im hoping that cures both issues - will let you know come tues - wednesday. ... but im no expert...... :bow:

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jeffwiz said:
sounds like you have a misfire. Is your check engine light on and or flashing?
mine doent flash. just comes on. and no no check engine light as a cause for this. it just has a code on it for the coolant temp too low...(radiator is too big for what the v6), and its supposed to be a stock rad...go figure.

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
go---fish said:
My local dealer here in SLC quoted $90 (1 hour labor min) to do it - I had to change distributor on engine swap and need to get it in there this week - mine also smells a tiny rich just idling in driveway after its warmed up to temp. Im hoping that cures both issues - will let you know come tues - wednesday. ... but im no expert...... :bow:
thnanks for the update. 90 aint that bad...as to i didnt know what it would cost in the first place, thought it might even be more that...

G

·
0 Posts
one last question ... what does the "flash pcm" do? I was gonna ask about having that done at same time - might be cheaper to do both at same time.
I noticed others have had that done on this site.

·
Registered
10 Posts
fuel sync reset

I called the dealer today to see if they thought this could be the problem with mine and what the cost would be, they said $73 in central Florida. I'm tired of paying for all the guess work, this forum is great for ideas, I sound like I know something when I talk to these guys :biggthump

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
go---fish said:
one last question ... what does the "flash pcm" do? I was gonna ask about having that done at same time - might be cheaper to do both at same time.
I noticed others have had that done on this site.
all depends on what you have done to the motor/trans. the performance pcms raise the rev limiter, adds timing, recalibrates the fuel curve and or pulse widths, and does a few other things too, but i think thats mostly it. with a custom flash you could change a number of things, or keep the base program in there and add timing, and thats it... like i said, it all depends. its also a little pricey if i remember right... about as much if not more than buying a hp-pcm from ma mopar. unfortunately, i cant get one for mine with the v6 (cant find one, and they stopped making it too). i need it for what i got too. damn trans i got rebuilt here is set up for performance and keeps nailing that limiter before she wants second...so i have to lift a hair orr the loud pedal and CHIRP there goes second!! and thats with the 255 nittos on the back (posi too)!! :banana2:

G

·
0 Posts
flash

thanks for the info - realdeal.

I think I will just get it running great and worry on the High Output Tweaks after that. BTW... went out to take her into dealer this AM and saw a new leak (antifreeze) .. and pulled radiator this eve and I cant figure out why its leaking.. I can see where (1/3 way up right side in core) but i see no reason .. doesnt even look rotten. Wow - I was stunned to hear Autozone wants $299 for my radiator - shopping around tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Is there any interest in a kit by which you could adjust your fuel sync by +/- 5 degrees and easily return it to its original position?

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
N56629 said:
Is there any interest in a kit by which you could adjust your fuel sync by +/- 5 degrees and easily return it to its original position?
why do you ask???

go---fish said:
I think I will just get it running great and worry on the High Output Tweaks after that. BTW... went out to take her into dealer this AM and saw a new leak (antifreeze) .. and pulled radiator this eve and I cant figure out why its leaking.. I can see where (1/3 way up right side in core) but i see no reason .. doesnt even look rotten. Wow - I was stunned to hear Autozone wants $299 for my radiator - shopping around tomorrow.[/Quote=go---fish]

damn, i went to the boys of pep, and i dont think i even paid that much for it. think i paid half that.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
realdeal7369 said:
why do you ask???
Because I think that I could design one. I thought that it might be useful for those that want to tweak their sync and be able to return it to the exact location they started without even removing the cap.

G

·
0 Posts
timing adjust tool

I am glad to see someone who thinks like me!

If you could make a tool like that -- we should talk!

That is an awesome idea, bud. :clap2:

G

·
0 Posts
UPDATE on timing / fuel sync

Realdeal.... just to let you know - I am very pleased with the way my truck runs today after spending the $90 for the dealer to set fuel sync.

Might of been a little cheaper ($65) but I had them check for vacuum leaks on the famous belly pan gasket posted here. They simply hook a vacuum guage to the breather filter and plugged off the PCV and then measured the vacuum ... simple test.

They also checked on updated PCM flash - mine was current.
I could tell soon as I drove out of dealer lot there was a different feel about it.
Well worth the money.
Now that its running the way it should .. I can start my upgrades!

BTW.. thanks guys for all the info. I think the service guy was a little suprised when I threw out questions / info on what I would like to have serviced.
Never would of happened without this great site!
Thanks again

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, i gfinally got around to getting the truck fixed. they swapped out the distributor, gear, and the bushing too. revs much cleaner, and no more rough idle, and most importantly, NO MORE POPPIN!!!!!!

WOOHOOOOOOOOO :woowoo: :woowoo:

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have to re-edit this...fuckin popped that same damn day too. i let it sit till i needed to leave for work, and as soon as i started it, and revved it...POP...wtf..

i know its been a while since i posted this here, kinda forgot where it was..been busy with other stuff too..

im going to pull the whole dmn thing out and try it my self. ive gotten the fuel sync deap on once before, ill do it again..lol.. did it by feel, and by ear. or at least i thought i could hear a difference. just need to get the motor to tdc, the rip out the distributor. anyone know where the number one plug wire needs to be on the v6 cap. its not on mine. im thinking is the one to the right of the little breather thingy on it, when looking at it from the top, with it mounted to the distributor body. am i right or???

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Fourty years of tinkering with cars and I still would not think of doing it without a manual. I just don't know how you guys do it.

Here's a tip I got from someone else. Take an old cap and cut a hole/window in the side right in line with the number one terminal. This will allow you to visually adjust it with a cap in place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts