Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to get some extra room to get my valve covers out. How the heck do I get the fuel rails out of the way. If it is possible to remove the rail from the injectors without taking the injectors out of the heads that would be nice. Also if I have to take the injectors out and happen to mess up one of the o-rings where can i get some new ones nice and quick?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Schaw Flapping Pus
2,274 Posts
Tools: Basic Metric Tools, 5/16 fuel line quick disconnect, lots of towls or rags you can throw away, and oil to lube up the O-rings when installing the injectors and fuel rail.

1. Remove your Gas Cap and your air hat. Thats what I call it.

2. To relieve the bulk of the fuel pressure, pull the fuel pump relay, start the motor and let it die. There will be some residual fuel drip, but no squirting out. The relay is in the distribution block next to the battery.

3. When you are removing your Air Hat there is two brackets that hold on your Metal heater hoses. That those off. It will be easier to remove your fuel rail when the time comes.

4. One the Passenger side there should be a green cap, remove, and press the relief valve. Some Fuel will come out but not alot.

5. Your going to need a 5/16 fuel line quick disconnect. Your going to use that on the driver side. (I got mine a schucks for like $17.00, it was the multi pack of fuel line quick disconnect.) Fuel will come out of the connector. So I just used a cup to collect the fuel and some rags.

6. Need to unclip and disconnect all your injectors. The electrical ( becareful when moving the red safety retaining clip on the injector) and the metal retaining holding the injector to the fuel rail. When you pop them off. They will spring, so hold on tight to them. The picture below shows you what the clips look like

7. Vacumm all the loose debree around the injector and the Coil Packs. So it doesnt fall in head. I took off the Coil packs so it would be easier to remove the fuel rail.

8. There is four bolts holding the fuel rail on. I think they are 10 MM

Tips, you might need to move your PVC hose and your Crank Breather Hoses too.

9. When you start lifting the fuel rail, start with one side only, and be very gentle. THERE WILL BE FUEL STILL IN FUEL RAIL So have lots of rags or towls around. Some injectors will stay in the head and some will come out with the fuel rail. Your going to have to wiggle them out very carefuly. As you can see here below your fuel rail is out.

10. Now go a head and cover up the holes so nothing will get inside your heads.

11. When you are cleaning your injectors remove the O-rings

12. I also cleaned the carbon you'll see when you look down in your injector hole in your heads. Thats a person option. (when you start it. It will run like shit because you are burning all that carbon you put down in your head.)

13. Ready to install? Lube up one at a time the bottom and top O-rings with oil. I put all the injectors in, install your fuel rail and make sure all your injectors at seated in the head and in your fuel rail. Once you get that done put your Fuel rail bolts back in.

14.Reconnect your fuel line and electrical connector.

15. Install your coil packs

16 Put back your fuel pump relay, your Air Hat, and anyother hoses you disconnected.

17. Double check all your connections and tools out of the way.

I hope that helps ya. I dont know where you can get new O-rings.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the write up.:mullet: My problem is though that I can't relieve the pressure because the battery is out of the truck and the whole thing is torn down. I have pressed the schrader valve and no fuel comes out so I assume the pressure is gone but I'm not sure.

But what I get from this whole thing is just pull up on the injectors and thye will come out. Is that right.:huh:

B

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the write up.:mullet: My problem is though that I can't relieve the pressure because the battery is out of the truck and the whole thing is torn down. I have pressed the schrader valve and no fuel comes out so I assume the pressure is gone but I'm not sure.

But what I get from this whole thing is just pull up on the injectors and thye will come out. Is that right.:huh:
The pressure is off if you're not getting any fuel from the valve. Leave the clip in place the connects the injector to the rail, remove the bolts and pull up on the injectors. Should come right out of the intake.

·
Schaw Flapping Pus
2,274 Posts
Ya,there will be fuel in the injectors. Just some drops. Since you have everthing out of the way. You can leave the retaining clips in. I had to do this because all the wiring was in the way. But since you moved all that to get your valve covers off.

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
as mentioned, leave the injectors connected to the fuel rail. the fuel rails are still full of fuel....just no preuusure to push it thru the shrader valve or injectors.....also leave the ful supply line connected as well and just flop the assembly up and out of the way...it will be alot less messy that way.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All right it's all good I just pulled them out, covered up the injectors and moved them out of the way. I went ahead and bought a whole new set of o-rings. I might replace them I might not but for $5 bucks I figured I might as well get them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts