Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:huh:Ok so I had the Durango warming up on a cold morning and it died. Hasn't started since. Thought that it was the battery because the volts were barely making it to 8. Battery replaced.. No dice! I noticed that I sisn't hear the fuel pump hum like I used to so I'm thinking it's the fuel pump. Is there any chance it could just be the relay for the pump? How hard is it to change the fuel pump yourself? price? are the other modles for different engines compatible? Should I look at the salvage yrd? Any other things that it could be other than the fuel pump. Of course it takes a shit when I'm broke and behind on everything. I'm looking for the cheapest solution so I'll probably be attempting by myself. I do think the other battery died cause I killed it trying to get it to run. It turns over just won't run on it's own. gassing it doesn't change outcome. Thanks.:huh:

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
You can swap the fuel pump relay with another one like the headlight relay or A/C relay to see if the relay is bad. have you checked the fuses?

As for replacing it, you will have to drop the tank, so hope it's not full. You can buy just a replacement pump for under $50. You will need some basic mechanical skills and tools with some electrical knowledge as well to replace the pump though. Not an easy task for someone who has never worked on a vehicle before.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can swap the fuel pump relay with another one like the headlight relay or A/C relay to see if the relay is bad. have you checked the fuses?

As for replacing it, you will have to drop the tank, so hope it's not full. You can buy just a replacement pump for under $50. You will need some basic mechanical skills and tools with some electrical knowledge as well to replace the pump though. Not an easy task for someone who has never worked on a vehicle before.
Thanks. I'll check the fuse and do the relay swap test you mentioned. I am fairly mechanically inclined as far as taking things apart and putting them back together. AZ had fuel pumps for like $230. WTF, are they $50 from the salvage yrd? What tools will I need? I have basic adjustable wrenches, Sockets, screw drivers, hex keys, drill. Anything specific?

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
When you buy from the parts stores you are buying an entire fuel pump assembly which you don't need if its just the pump that is bad. You can take it apart and replace just the pump, but you won't find just the pump available from a parts store.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok that helps. Just an update here. I do hear the pump start now but it doesn't seem to stay running longer than a few seconds. Should I check that Crank position sensor too. I've heard of those causing the engine not to start also. and I read somewhere that if you hear the fuel pump then to check that.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
The fuel pump only runs for 3 seconds to prime the fuel rails and then shuts off with initial key on. There is no pressure sensor so it's a time thing. Once the engine is running the fuel pump should run constantly.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fuel pump only runs for 3 seconds to prime the fuel rails and then shuts off with initial key on. There is no pressure sensor so it's a time thing. Once the engine is running the fuel pump should run constantly.
So it sounds like it may not be the fuel pump. I guess it could be the fuel filter. I don't really know what else to check. There is an engine light on so if I can borrow a scan tool from AZ maybe it will help me pin point the problem. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Autozone usually doesn't let you check out the scan tool. I'd definitely get the code checked before you do anything else.

And I HIGHLY doubt it's the fuel filter. Thats part of the fuel pump and would take a LOT to clog.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Autozone usually doesn't let you check out the scan tool. I'd definitely get the code checked before you do anything else.

And I HIGHLY doubt it's the fuel filter. Thats part of the fuel pump and would take a LOT to clog.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I thnk I'm going to replace the coil and see if that's the problem, and I don't know how to get the truck over there to test the code but I need a new coil and rotor anyway so that's probably a good place to start. I agree with you about it not being the filter now. If that doesn't work then I'll try to borrow a tester from someone I know around here.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
if you have a smart phone, you can buy a bluetooth OBD2 device that plugs into your truck and pair to your phone. You can download numerous free apps that will let you check your codes with your phone. Or if you want to go all out pay for the Torq app and be able to data log and have 1/4 mile, 0-60, and other performance data available.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah didn't think about that. That may be a good investment there. I'll have to look into that soon. Thank you again.

·
Layin Low
1,312 Posts
i can't remember which year... but the mustang fuel pump is the same as the dakotas...

djwolf learned this with klintok one day when they were driving and dj lost his fuel pump lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts