Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided yesterday to see about replacing a couple of cracked fuel injectors on the truck (2000 Dakota, 4.7, 5-speed) that I suspected were leaking fuel and resulting in a loss of fuel pressure. I'll have to either find the part number I wrote down or get it off another fuel injector, but for our purposes, we'll call them "yellow" injectors because of the yellow band on them. I also recall that they were two-hole injectors and the resistance through them was 16ish to 19ish ohms. (It took the reading on my DVOM a while to drop to 16ish ohms.)

Well, any old 4.7 pencil-type onjector should work, right? Wrong. I go to the Jeep salvage yard where I used to work, because I know they have a box of fuel injectors already pulled. Wouldn't ya know it, none of the part numbers matched. I also seem to recall that all of the fuel injectors had a blue or green (really, more like a turquoise) band and were all single-hole units. I didn't get any part numbers off of these, but I probably will later.

Not to be discouraged, I head to U-Pull-and-Pay. Wouldn't ya know it, AGAIN, none of the trucks had the fuel injectors I needed, or they were gone. I do seem to recall that the trucks on the yard with a 3.7 had blue fuel injectors while the 4.7 Jeeps had the green fuel injectors. I did also run across one Durango with a 4.7 that had red fuel injectors.

Thus, here's what I can conclude so far (since some folks what to scream about other folks not actually getting their hands on parts)

Yellow fuel injectors: 2-hole, part #?, 16ish-19ish ohms resistance, early Dodge 4.7's to ?, manual transmission only?

Blue fuel injectors: single-hole, 3.7 V6's, part #?, ohms?

Green fuel injectors: single-hole, Jeep 4.7's, part #?, ohms?

Red fuel injectors: holes? Dodge trucks with 4.7 and automatic transmissions? Part #? Ohms?

I'll try to update this stuff as I get the chance, but here's another question-what are some of the fuel injector upgrades that are possible? I know on the Jeep 4.0 straight sixes, a popular upgrade is the "4-hole" injectors that came in the Mopar 2.0 4-bangers. They flow pretty much the same as the stock 4.0 injectors and operate at the same pressure, but have a much better spray pattern than the factory single-hole units. Does anybody know if there's something similar for the 4.7's? What about the specs on some of the popular "upgrade" fuel injectors?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Here's the specs on the Siemens/VDO 4-holes that FiveOMotorSports.COM sells for your motor.

https://www.fiveomotorsport.com/product-search/?v=8923#srp

They're a popular source for upgraded injectors for some other car brands, and they usually know what they're talking about.

There are other sources ... if you can find out the proper values (and I'm looking, there used to be an injector site that had all that in a massive spread sheet!) there's several others that are available.

Edit: Found it! http://www.fuelinjector.citymaker.com/Fuel_Injector_Flow_Rates.html

Anything but the same flow injector should have the ECU tuned to match; different brands can even have different on/off characteristics so idle/WOT transitions can call for a different curve than the current one. However, if your current one is a 19# at 43.5PSI injector, and your replacement is a 19# at 43.5PSI injector, you probably won't notice any difference on the street, since the majority of the injector response curve should be about the same and well within ECU self-tuning capabilities.

If I find that web site, or locate the spread sheet on my computer, I'll link or attach here.

RwP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: Still trying to figure out how to edit posts, but after doing some digging here's what I've found out so far-

-The "yellow" injectors actually use a white color band. They're just kinda discolored on my truck. These were only used in 2000 Dodge 4.7's and Grand Cherokees from '99 to 2000, so yeah, they're gonna be kinda hard to find in a yard. They're also made by Siemens.

-Damn! I should've snagged the "red" injectors off that Durango while I was on the yard! These have part number 53032145AA and were used in '01-'03 Dodges and Jeeps from '01-'04. Trucks with these injectors will have VIN code N. However, according to one website I found, these WILL fit an HO 4.7 with VIN code J. Another website I found stated that the flow rate on the HO injectors is an additional 3.3 lbs/hr for a flow rate of 25.8 lbs/[email protected] PSI, meaning that the flow rate for these injectors on a standard 4.7 should be 22.5 lb/[email protected] PSI. The same website did also state that the PCM calibration was different on the HO models, leading me to believe that the HO engines did use the same fuel injectors, but the increase in flow rate simply came from the PCM duty-cycling the fuel injectors at a higher rate than a standard 4.7 PCM. But both flow rates seem a little thirsty to me, especially when there's guys on here running 19 lbs/hr fuel injectors on a V8 engines...

-Green fuel injectors have part number 53032704AA. From what I can find, these were used on '04-'07 4.7's with VIN codes, N, J, and P and will fit gas and flex-fuel engines.

-Blue fuel injectors use part 53032701AA. These were used with all 3.7 V6's with VIN code K from '04 to 2012.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recently purchased a 2002 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4x4 with the 4.7L V8 SOHC. While pulling my spark plugs in the course of a tune-up, I found that one of my fuel injectors is leaking externally from a crack in the casing, and that several others are showing signs of vertical cracking as well. Upon looking for a part number, I found that I have two different fuel injectors in my truck — (6) with the white color band, and (2) with the red color band.

The (6) white injectors in my truck are strange, given that my truck is an '02 and should have come with the red injectors. Not sure why someone would have replaced them with the older design. Perhaps someone sourced the incorrect replacements at one point. At any rate, since I have a mismatched set of injectors — many with compromised casings — I figured I'd source replacements.

I've spent the better part of the last few days wading through all of the various fuel injector part numbers available for the Dakota in an attempt to understand their differences. Had my head spinning pretty good. Of all the various forum threads and technical specs available, this thread has one of the most succinct overviews of the three main OEM fuel injectors available. I figured I'd throw in some additional data I found in the course of my research for sake of the next poor soul in this predicament, then follow it up with a question I haven't been able to answer:
  • White-Tipped Injector (Mopar P/N 53030842) — These are two-hole injectors made by Siemens. As the OP stated, these were used only on 1999–2000 Jeeps and 2000 Dakota/Durangos. They were ostensibly rated for a flow rate of 22.5 lb./hr. at our fuel rail pressure of 49 PSI, but it was widely reported that they underperformed and flowed closer to 19 lb./hour.

• Red-Tipped Injector (Mopar P/N 53032145AA) — These two-hole injectors were again made by Siemens, and were used on all 2001–2003 Dakota's and Durango's. There is contradictory information out there regarding whether the flow rate on these was 22.5 or 25.8 lb./hr. at fuel rail pressure of 49 PSI. InjectorRX rates them at 12.6 Ohms and 25.11 lb./hr., Witchhunter.com puts them at 12 Ohms and 25.8 lb./hr. After weighing the available evidence, I concur with the OP's conclusion that they flow at a true 22.5 lb./hr. on the non-HO 4.7L engines, but that the PCM on the HO 4.7L V8's bumps the flow rate up by 3.3 lbs./hour to 25.8 lbs./hr. Still available under P/N RL032145AA at Rock Auto.

• Green-Tipped Injector (Mopar P/N 53032704AB) — These are four-hole injectors used on 2004–2007 Dakota/Durangos which supposedly atomize the fuel much more effectively than previous versions. They are rated at 11.7 Ohms, but I've found conflicting information on flow rate. Witchhunter.com puts them at 225cc at 3 Bar, which translates to 22.5 lb./hr. at 49 PSI. However, InjectorPlanet rates them at 12 Ohms and 29.3 lb./hr. The disparity and some other conflicting information on the IP website makes me think their numbers are likely off. This injector is listed as fitting all 1999–2007 4.7L V8's. It is often sold under various other part numbers, the most common of which is Standard Motor Products P/N FJ475. These are currently available at Rock Auto.
All of that out of the way and back to my problem — if I'm going to shell out for a new set of injectors, I'd like to get the best available for my truck. Many forum posters recommend the green-tipped four-hole injectors as an upgrade over the red-tipped injectors due to smoother idle and acceleration, even minor MPG increases.

I'd prefer to go with the green-tipped injectors over the red ones to take advantage of the better fuel atomization, but only if I can verify that they are the correct flow rating. Anybody purchase these and test them or have a link to a source for flow rating?

Other Links I Found Helpful:
  1. Injector upgrade thoughts. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand
  2. 4.7 MPG vs Mods - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
  3. WitchHunter Performance - Injector Cleaning & Flow Testing Services
  4. Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! - View Single Post - Feul Injectors
  5. 4.7 Injectors

1 - 4 of 4 Posts