Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
gettin hearing aids by 30
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about a year ago, for a month or so, my fuel gauge started reading lower than what the tank was. as randomly started reading low, it started reading right. it has now been reading low again. im not sure if it would be the sending unit, float, or short/ground.

thanks for any help,
Darwin

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,478 Posts
By "low" do you mean "empty" or "I filled up and it's at 7/8 tank"?

Anyway - it's time to grab the service manual and start chasing the wiring. Which low you mean makes a difference - if it's saying "Empty" when it's coming out the filler neck, it's easy to find. 7/8th tank on a full tank? That's a bit more convulated, but I'd check the sending unit first (be a good time to upgrade the fuel pump too.)

RwP

·
gettin hearing aids by 30
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine reads empty with 6 gallons left in the tank. Works for me lol, reserve capacity.
same, but not as bad the light will kick on with about 6 gal in the tank. its really just getting annoying, i reset the trip with every fill up to get an idea of mpg and so i know when i can keep driving when on e.

·
Up to ten motorcycles now
186 Posts
My 01 Dak does the exact same thing. The low fuel light comes on when its used about 15 gallons in the 22 gallon tank. So fine, I have six gallons reserve easy. But I have heard of problems with the fuel pump suddenly quitting/failing and then you're going nowhere. My Dak has about 180K on it, runs great, only 19mpg on a good day, but I'm thinking its time to drop the tank and replace the fuel pump and sending unit before they go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts