Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
PRAISE THE LOWERED
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a fuel cell into my 03 and I was talking to a shop and they said it took them over a week to make the fuel cell work in another dakota. I didn't think installing a fuel cell would be so difficult, but apparently the Dakota is "different"

Anyway anyone here who has installed a fuel cell into the their truck care to give me any idea what to expect during the install? Parts I should buy? etc.

Thanks

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
I'm installing a fuel cell into my 03 and I was talking to a shop and they said it took them over a week to make the fuel cell work in another dakota. I didn't think installing a fuel cell would be so difficult, but apparently the Dakota is "different"

Anyway anyone here who has installed a fuel cell into the their truck care to give me any idea what to expect during the install? Parts I should buy? etc.

Thanks
i've done my own, and its wasnt hard at all, but mine is in place of the spare tire/ carrier. look a sick660r's thread, he did his almost the same way, but looks alot nicer

·
PRAISE THE LOWERED
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My fuel cell will be in the same location, my frame just isn't going to be stock.

I'll check out that thread.

EDIT

Any idea what page that is on? I tried searching the thread and nothing came up. 223 pages is a lot to go through.

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
your just going to have to jump into it. Since your frame is completely diffent I cant help much.

·
Banned
9,045 Posts

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Are you or a shop doing the rear section of the frame? What kind of steel? Looks good so far from what I can tell in your sig pic.

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
ask steve what exactly took him so long. If your using the stock assembly you just need to extend 4 wires and i showed you how to actually mount it. If your going external you still just need to extend the wires and then just run the fuel lines. Its not hard at all, the only thing i can think of is finding the right sender if he was going to not reuse the stock one or the actual mounting of the tank depending on how the other person wanted it.

·
PRAISE THE LOWERED
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ask steve what exactly took him so long. If your using the stock assembly you just need to extend 4 wires and i showed you how to actually mount it. If your going external you still just need to extend the wires and then just run the fuel lines. Its not hard at all, the only thing i can think of is finding the right sender if he was going to not reuse the stock one or the actual mounting of the tank depending on how the other person wanted it.
Steve hasn't done a fuel cell on a Dakota, he was talking to some other shops and they had difficulties.

Anyway after talking to you and a few other people I think I'm just gonna stick with the stock pump. It's not exactly stylish, but it's not like I really need some fancy pump.

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
for a shop to do this, I would estimate that it should only take 10-15 hours to get the job done. so 2 days, maybe 3 if they extend it out and only work 8 hour days.

I installed my fuel cell in about 4 hours on my truck, but it's above the bed floor cause I don't need to use my bed anymore. I'm running an external, low pressure fuel pump for my carb, but you could easilly have a high pressure EFI pump there instead, or, take the entire stock "coffee can" and drop it into your cell and wire it up. a week seems a bit excessive to me, unless they only work 2 hours at a time on it.

or, if they have to tear it all apart, mock it up, then wait to order parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts