Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, driving in -22C weather and the truck starts to smoke something fierce... pull over and see tons of oil on the passenger side of the truck. Check fluids and seems the block is pressurized up 'cause when I pull the oil dipstick out I can hear it release some air from there. Turns out it's a frozen PCV Valve causing the engine to build up pressure and shoot oil out the valve cover... I've since changed the oil to a semi-synth (i am poor) and was told I should get a cold weather front... Will that fix my problem? I've driving in -20C weather before... but maybe I had a good strong head wind or something... *shrugs*

Kev

B

·
0 Posts
sorry man, i but i really doubt the pcv valve would create a problem like that,pcv(positive crank case ventilation valve)does nothing mre than recycle gasses, i work at jiffy lube and i see cars all the time come in with frozen pcv valves, and most of them never get changed, it just saves gas mileage and helps engine life

S

·
0 Posts
I'm afraid I have to dispute the last statement....A frozen PCV valve can cause pressure build up in an engine. While driving in Yellowknife NWT (arctic temperatures) pcv freezing was a real problem. On my particular truck, it was enough to blow the rear engine seal out.

The difficulty with it is that after the engine has been run, then shut off, warm air from the engine releases vapour which then supercools and freezes. In the dakota 3.7 and 4.7 engines, with the pcv stuck to the oil filler and in a place where it will cool rapidly, there is potential for ice to develop. It doesn't take much ice to plug it, and it takes a while to melt.

Best thing to do is to make sure your truck is well warmed up before driving. It you can remember, loosen your oil filler cap after running, to release warm moist arm, bypassing the pcv. Other methods may involve a battery warmer blanket in the area, magnetic heat pad, or one guy used an empty apple juice can connected to a rubber tube that joined the pcv line at a T connection, and drew off moist air as the truck cooled down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts