Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got approval from the wifey for gear change on the D! :woot: I've got a shop that will do the work, I just need to order the gears. My question is what does the durango have for a front/rear differential? I'm pretty sure it's a chrysler 8.25 up front and 9.25 in the rear but want to make sure Dodge didn't throw a Dana in there like with my Jeep. Also, is there a place on-line anyone would recommend getting the gears from?

·
Registered
89 Posts
for the rear, just count your bolts on the diff cover...10 bolts 8.5...12 bolts 9.25..or just take a pic of your rear axle and post it..we can tell then..and as far as the front..I'm pretty sure it's 8.5...but maybe it's an 8..anybody else know about the front better?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Conman. I'm pretty positive the rear is 9.25, it says that in the glove box. My concern is mostly the front. Sweet lookin' truck by the way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i just did a gear swap..from 3.55's to 4.10's front and rear and I added an LSD..anyway..when I ordered them..the receipt said "Chrys IFS 8.5"...so maybe that's it...

D

·
0 Posts
Changing Gears

I just purchased a new 2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4 HEMI. I got one hell of a deal, but the one thing I got stuck with was 3.55:1 gears. I want to use this thing to tow approximately 6000 lbs while also putting about 1000-1500 in the vehicle.

Is it worth changing the gears from 3.55 to 4.10s, etc? From reading this post I can see parts must be available. What do I buy? Where do I buy? Can I even switch to 4.10s. The factory only offered 3.55 or 3.92.

I am familiar with changing suspension components and pulling apart and putting back together 4 cylinder engines (Neon) etc. How difficult is it to do this type of swap in my garage? Are there any special tools required?

Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That'll put you right about at the max for the D with 3.55's. What kind of terrain are you pulling in? Give the trailer a tug and see how you think it pulls. With the gear change, you'll probably be looking in the neighborhood of $1200. If you go with other than 3.92's, I don't believe you'll be able to have your speedo correctly calibrated. I doubt there would be a huge difference between the 4.10 and 3.92 though. The 3.92 will add about 1500lbs to your towing capicity. Here's the info on the Dodge site: http://www.dodge.com/towing/D/home.html

2005 Durango SLT, 4x4, 5-Speed Automatic, HEMI "Magnum" 5.7L V8 engine:

With 3.55 Axle Ratio You Can Tow 7150 lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) = 6600 lbs
Payload = 1398 lbs
Curb Weight = 5202 lbs
Curb Weight Front/Rear = 2837 / 2365 lbs
GAWR Front/Rear = 3600 / 3900 lbs
Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) = 12500 lbs

With 3.92 Axle Ratio You Can Tow 8650 lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) = 6600 lbs
Payload = 1398 lbs
Curb Weight = 5202 lbs
Curb Weight Front/Rear = 2837 / 2365 lbs
GAWR Front/Rear = 3600 / 3900 lbs
Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) = 14000 lbs

·
It's not my fault!
555 Posts
Can't help you with the type of axle, but I bought my gears from 4wheelparts.com. Genuine gear was the brand. Quality piece from what I can tell, and the price was the lowest I could find. Randys Ring and Pinion probably has the best stuff out there, but they are a little pricey. I paid around $200 shipped for the gears and a master install kit with all the various bearings, etc. I have not installed them yet, and from what I can tell the install is not for the faint of heart. You have to get the pinion angle absolutely correct, or you will trash the gears. Also need some special tools to pull the old stuff out, seat everything, and the bearings need to be pressed in using a hydraulic press. If I can find a good deal on an installer locally I will probably go that route.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts