Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally broke down and ordered the parts I need to rebuild the front end. :banana2:

Thanks to Nick02, I ordered all Raybestos parts. :mullet:

Here is what I picked up:
  • Lower Ball Joint - P/N 505-1282
  • Upper Ball Joint - P/N 500-1062
  • Inner Tie Rod End - P/N 405-1123
  • Outer Tie Rod End - P/N 401-1878
  • Sway Bar Repair Kit - P/N 545-1053
  • Coil Spring Insulator - P/N 577-1700

The total from Rock Auto with the site discount was just under $180. :woot:

I still need to order some front sway bar bushing as well as some lower control arm bushings.

I will be keeping this thread updated on the progress of the install as well as asking LOTS of questions. All in all, the rebuild doesnt look to hard at all (from what I have read) :drive:

Once the front is rebuilt, I will have the new tires I ordered installed and the front end aligned.

Any tips/tricks/hits for me?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am watching this thread as well. I am looking to change the control arm bushings too. The previous owner just did the ball joints, though.
I want to order the CABs but can I do that without damaging the ball joints?
I thought I would take the control arms off and take them to a machine shop to have the new ones pressed in. Then back together and off for an aliginment. Right?
Please, anyone who has done this themselves, chime in on some tip & hints. Thanks. Don.

Oh, 99, 3.9L, auto, 2WD. :drive:

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
The Deotch Tech and Fabtech must come with crapy upper A-arm bushings, everyone has problems with them? I never had an issue with mine, yet I never bought from either company! :jester:

·
Armed and Dangerous
2,475 Posts
Nice, that's a good price for all that. As long as you have a torch or grinder, air hammer, impact wrench, and a ball joint press it shouldn't be too bad for you. I changed all of that earlier this year.

·
Wheres the mud...
295 Posts
Haha the box came last night....the 180 was a good price for ONE side.

Damn I have to order the same parts for the other side :funny:

Oh and the quality of Raybestos is AMAZING :mullet:
damn, that sucks:funny:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I broke down and ordered the other half of the parts I needed :funny:

So for a total front end rebuild the total was 360 for parts.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Well I broke down and ordered the other half of the parts I needed :funny:

So for a total front end rebuild the total was 360 for parts.
Good gosh! I spent about 120 for all on a set from ebay! They may not be best, but I can rebuild it 3 times for one of yours. Excluding uppers.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good gosh! I spent about 120 for all on a set from ebay! They may not be best, but I can rebuild it 3 times for one of yours. Excluding uppers.
i know i could have bought cheaper parts but i wanted qualtiy parts that would last. i dont want to rebuild the front end again :D

·
Wheres the mud...
295 Posts
Reber... How are you ebay ones holding up?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well last night after I changed the oil (dont ask how that went)...I started the rebuilt :banana2:

It took me from 7pm to 9pm to get the spindle out, lower ball joint removed and the new one installed.

At 630am I resumed and had the driver side back together by 9am

The passenger side took me less than 3 hours. And I was at the alignment shop at 130pm

The hardest part (there really wasnt one) was the damn rivets but I had those figured out after the first one.

For the rivets I used a 4in grinder to put an X in the head and then used the air chisel to knock the heads off. I then used 3 different drill bits to drill the rivets out. I had the passenger side stock lower ball joint out in 40 minutes :clap2:

It took the alignment shop all of 30 minutes....the truck drives like a dream :drive:

As for the hardware, I replaced the upper ball joint bolts with grade 8 bolts, nuts and lock washers.

I also added lock washers to the lower ball joints (they came metric 10.9)

I loctited all the ball joints as well (torqued the lowers to 35lbs and the uppers to 25)

I also had to "shim" the castle nut on the upper ball joint (not a big deal but Im glad I had the washer already bought.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
So just to make sure I understand this right, because I'm in need of doing this rebuild too... I'll need to order 2 if everything to get both sides done?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So just to make sure I understand this right, because I'm in need of doing this rebuild too... I'll need to order 2 if everything to get both sides done?
Yes...

Also, you might want to pick up some black spry paint and paint the inner tie rods and sway bar end links...my after less than a month already have surface rust...:rant::rant:

·
5 Door Whore #215
760 Posts
Nice, that's a good price for all that. As long as you have a torch or grinder, air hammer, impact wrench, and a ball joint press it shouldn't be too bad for you. I changed all of that earlier this year.
iam about to do mine and have all this except the ball joint press do i need that on a 01 2wd and if what for i thought they just bolted on

1 - 20 of 20 Posts