Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was able to narrow my noise down sorta. the noise im having is on certain bumps and city speeds i hear a rattle in the front. i really began to notice it 2 years ago but seemed to be more noticable after a cranked the t bars. last weekend rethinking that thought, i lowered the front down to stock height in the front and it looks like shit but did quiet the rattle down. now, it seems to be returning to almost the same as it was, but isnt quite as bad. the front end is completly tight, new lower balljoints and the uppers are el cheapos but arent loose. sway bar bushings are new.

anyone got any suggestions? its driving me friggen crazy. im at wits end.
and besides all this my exhaust manifold started leaking. :rant:

·
5 Door Whore #176
375 Posts
lmao why is my 2000 durango is doing the same damn thing and developed an exhaust manifold leak last night while driving I am beginning to think it may have to do with the heat shields on the exhaust or the manifolds themselves being loose mine almost sounds like metal rattling as I go over bumps and does it worse at slower speeds

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine sounds like the rattle carries on for a second after the bump like something is ready to fall out but hasnt. my exhaust is nice and tight last time i checked but im wondering if maybe the y pipe or something is hitting the frame or something stupid. i cant hear the rattle at all at higher speeds but that doesnt mean its not there. in town i have bumpy roads and it drives me crazy

·
5 Door Whore #176
375 Posts
yeah thats when mine makes the noise too we have 8 inches of snow here that came last night so I haven't gotten underneath there to find the leak in my exhaust but it is definitely in the front passenger side right by the engine could be y pipe too I am still trying to find the leak

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha. exact same spot i hear mine. sounds like its in the front passenger side. start loooking for spots that might be hitting and tell me!!!! mine is leaking right on the driverside manifold, i have a broken bolt but i should be able to just replace the bolts and put a new gasket on it because the manfold is actually in good shape it appears.

·
5 Door Whore #176
375 Posts
yeah mine are kind of rusted but overall don't look too bad I am gonna try to get it somewhere that I can look I will let you know as soon as I find something

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my exhaust is all tight. i tried to pinpoint it earlier. seems to be coming from both sides. im thinking its control arm bushings. i recranked my tbars back up

·
5 Door Whore #176
375 Posts
maybe I narrowed my leak down to the passenger exhaust manifold probably won't get to it till monday but I will take a look at my control arm bushings too

G

·
My '00 DD had the same noise when I bought it and found out the front sway bar end links were shot. Replace those and now all is good. :mullet:

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wish it was that simple, i dont have sway bar links. only bushings, which are brand new and didnt solve it. lol

think its normal if your in 4wd while on a lift and everytime you hit the brakes the front tires tilt in and out from the 3 to 9 angle?? front end is tight. almost like the torque from the front end being in 4wd with the brakes on it moving the control arms back and forth?? might not be normal but idk

·
5 Door Whore #176
375 Posts
well getting mine fixed as we speak the hangers on the y pipe rusted off and it rattled all the bolts out of it 85 bucks to fix and I'm getting a flowmaster put on too :mullet:

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats good. found my issue. as dumb as it sounds... it was my hood latch. the hood was rattling... a quick adjustment of the hood latch and truck sounds rock solid.

kinda pissed i kept tossin money at it... but i guess i really wasnt. what i did replace did need it.

·
5 Door Whore #176
375 Posts
wow the hood huh? I still have my rattle so am I going to start going through the suspension parts since they are due and I need a new hub anyway

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow the hood huh? I still have my rattle so am I going to start going through the suspension parts since they are due and I need a new hub anyway
dude, sounds silly but please do me a favor. just check the hood, thats gonna be my new saying. after the hell i went through and aggrivation.... its weird driving my truck and having it quite on bumps. its like its broke?

·
5 Door Whore #176
375 Posts
yeah I am gonna check it too but most of my suspension parts are original so they are due to be replaced anyway

·
5 Door Whore #176
375 Posts
go figure my hood is making the noise that I am hearing too only checked it because you said that was your problem gonna have to try to adjust it here in a couple of days

·
Registered
546 Posts
dunno about the rattle. but my passenger side manifold has been leaking for years, hasn't realy gotten any worse that I can tell. all I hear about getting em off are pretty much horror stories. and since I've never had to pull a broken bolt before I figure that wouldn't be a good project to start.

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
weird how the hood is causing that noise, the noise it makes sounds like a broken part not something simple

1 - 18 of 18 Posts