Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a dakota 02 quad cab with 15,000 miles. I went in for front end noise last week and the dealer replaces the top and bottom ball joint on the passenger side. I at first complained about the noise on the right side. They said they replaced the left side. Do they consider the passenger side or drivers side to be the left side. But, anyways I still get a loud creak (like a rusted door hinge) on the drivers side. It gets only slightly better after driving for an hour. What could this noise be??? Could it be my other side's ball joints???/

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Right side is passenger side, left side is drivers side. When talking about left or right on a vehicle, the reference point is always when sitting in drivers seat facing forward.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I swear I've replied to a post exactly like this before........hmm

Well in short, it's your ball joints. Give them hell and make them replace the other side.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I too had this noise i greased the coil springs at the lower control arm you could see where the coil was moving around in the lower arm and leaving a shiny spot grease cured the noise i know this is kinda late but maybe it will help others with same problem

·
Registered
504 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 03 R/T. It turned out to be the lower steering linkage. After it was replaced the noise went away and the darn truck steered better then the day I first drove it.

Since buying this R/T new I have had the ball joints replaced lower steering linkage replaced and the drive shaft replaced by the dealer.

·
Scared? We're all scared
168 Posts
mopar rt said:
Since buying this R/T new I have had the ball joints replaced lower steering linkage replaced and the drive shaft replaced by the dealer.
just a quick question: why would the drive shaft need to be replaced?

·
Registered
504 Posts
When shifting the transmission from park to drive or reverse I was hearing a noise from under the truck. I thought it was the backlash in the rear end but the dealer found that the drive shaft was bad.

The 03 R/T came with a two piece aluminum drive shaft and the shaft was coming apart. There was and still is a silent re-call on these drive shafts. I thought the dealer was crazy but he turned out to be correct.

G

·
drive shafts wear out just like anything else, specially if they not greased, or if they had some bad manufacturing.

G

·
Barry J said:
I own a dakota 02 quad cab with 15,000 miles. I went in for front end noise last week and the dealer replaces the top and bottom ball joint on the passenger side. I at first complained about the noise on the right side. They said they replaced the left side. Do they consider the passenger side or drivers side to be the left side. But, anyways I still get a loud creak (like a rusted door hinge) on the drivers side. It gets only slightly better after driving for an hour. What could this noise be??? Could it be my other side's ball joints???/
:argue:

Alot of noise problems come the front sway bar bushings.
I just had my ball joints checked because of clunking and the noise was coming from the swaybar bushings.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts