Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled into parking space, turned the wheels to the left and came to a complete stop. When I put the gear in park and let of the brake I heard a loud pop coming from the passenger's side. The noise was so loud, people walking by looked down at the front of my truck. I got out and looked around and didn't notice anything wrong. When I got home, I put the truck in the air, checked everything that could have possibility cause that sound and couldn't find anything wrong or duplicate the sound. This occurred a week ago, the truck drives ok and the sound hasn't happened again. Any ideas on what this could have been, the front end is tight and no leaking grease from the CV axle.

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
balljoints? jack up the truck on the lower control arm and stick a prybar between the LCA and spindle and pry up and down, then see if there's play. then use the prybar on every joint/bushing you can find. my GMC did this after i got it aligned at firestone... come to find out the retards never tightened the bolt on my upper control arm where it bolts to the frame, and it would make a god awful creak/pop noise every time i flexed the suspension on an off camber situation, like a steep parking lot entrance or driveway.

·
3,230 Posts
oh, and check your caliper pins too, make sure they're all tight and nothings froze up in there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: When I drive straight there's no noise. When I turn left around a curve, I hear a humming noise, but only while applying pressure to the gas peddle. When I let off the gas while in the curve, the noise goes away. The sound is coming from the right side and I changed the bearing so I know it's not that. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

·
3,230 Posts
the turning left thing seems to indicate a bearing on the right side. but if its already changed, then either its defective and needs to be replaced again or its something simple. jack the truck up and spin the wheel and try and duplicate the sound, then go from there. the only time ive ever had anything similar to what your describing is when my wheel bearings were shot.

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
balljoints? jack up the truck on the lower control arm and stick a prybar between the LCA and spindle and pry up and down, then see if there's play. then use the prybar on every joint/bushing you can find. my GMC did this after i got it aligned at firestone... come to find out the retards never tightened the bolt on my upper control arm where it bolts to the frame, and it would make a god awful creak/pop noise every time i flexed the suspension on an off camber situation, like a steep parking lot entrance or driveway.

they did that to me 3 fucking times. i fucking hate firestone.

·
3,230 Posts
they did that to me 3 fucking times. i fucking hate firestone.
im not too impressed with firestone, but $160 for a lifetime alignment you cant go wrong. especially up in NY with all the shitty roads and potholes and junk. a truck needs it twice a year if you wanna keep good tires for more than 20k miles.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now I'm hearing a slight squeak, that goes away. I won't be able to check it until the weather gets better.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's the same thing that happen to me after firestone did an alignment. Took it back had them add loctite.. and torque them down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts