Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Professional Slacker
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, my front drive shaft has been making quite a bit of clicking / rattling noise and while I was under the truck trying to find the right socket size to remove my oil drain plug I decided to look at my drive shaft and it sounds like the noise is coming from inside the drive shaft around the middle. Any guesses on what it could be? the drive shaft doesn't seem to be out of place or warped.

·
Too close for missles!
352 Posts
YES. As far as I know, this is a common problem on Dakotas and I just dealt with it myself. The way the front driveshaft is made, I guess is kind of a cheesy one, with the whole CV joint in the middle of it. The CV joint wears out and causes play. Then it makes some god-awful noise whenever I'm driving that sounds like chains dragging under my truck. Anyway, there's no way to fix it, and then driveshaft needs to be replaced. You can either buy another stocker for probably pretty cheap, OR you can do what I did and buy a new, heavy duty greaseable one for about 250 bucks. If you buy another stocker, you run the risk of having it happen again, but mine JUST happened at about 100k, so I'm sure as long as your not doing any heavy off roading, you should be fine. The heavy duty ones replace the CV joint, and put a U-joint on both ends. I plan on throwing mine on the truck this weekend, I will let you know how everything bolts up. :mullet:

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
If it were me, I'd pull that sucker off and make sure it isnt' ready to grenade...that would cause a world of hurt on your wallet.

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
i could of sworn all the dakotas at the greasable CV on the front driveshaft? maybe im wrong i know mine does though.

·
Professional Slacker
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a question then.
What do I need to be able to remove the drive shaft. If I remove it from my understanding there will be a hole where it goes to the transfer case which I plan on covering. I've been contemplating taking it off but I'm not quite sure what goes into doing so. I would have tried trial and error but seeing as this is my DD and I'm low on cash I haven't.

·
10,424 Posts
Basic tools. An impact would likely make things much easier...put the front end on jack stands (at least one wheel) so you can rotate the shaft for bolt access.

Nothing to cover on the t-case, it's a drive flange.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
word of warning, if you have AWD, do not remove that driveshaft until you have a new one. There is a risk of causing internal damage, this has been debated much, but the AWD t-cases are not inclined to be run without both shafts installed. My Dad had the front on his old '02, $450 parts and Labor to have it done at a local shop.

·
Registered
271 Posts
word of warning, if you have AWD, do not remove that driveshaft until you have a new one. There is a risk of causing internal damage, this has been debated much, but the AWD t-cases are not inclined to be run without both shafts installed. My Dad had the front on his old '02, $450 parts and Labor to have it done at a local shop.
Never personally done it, but I was told if you removed the front drive shaft on the AWD you just had to put the T-case in 4 High and driver her that way.

·
Long Islanders, anyone??
35 Posts
I just had mine done at 125k with AWD and was really warned not to drive it at all without the front driveshaft because it will cause internal damage to the transfer case. The joint where it goes into the T-case one mine broke and I could literally wiggle the shaft around where it goes into the T-case. wasn't a good feeling from that, was around $400 for my local mechanic to fix it.

·
Professional Slacker
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The diagrams and directions I have found make it seem complicated. I can get my hands on a impact wrench set that should fit enough to undo the big bolts on the front drive shaft. Caulk, that sounds like that is all I have to do. Is unbolt it from the front axle and pull it out of the T-Case. I know it will probably leave a hole in the t-case so it's going to be covered. If all I need to do is get the four front bolts off then I should be able to do it today or tomorrow.

·
10,424 Posts
Four bolts on the front flange, 6 on the rear.

AWD vehicles CAN be driven without a front shaft. You MUST put it in 4hi to do so, however. Doing this will cause NO damage, period.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The diagrams and directions I have found make it seem complicated. I can get my hands on a impact wrench set that should fit enough to undo the big bolts on the front drive shaft. Caulk, that sounds like that is all I have to do. Is unbolt it from the front axle and pull it out of the T-Case. I know it will probably leave a hole in the t-case so it's going to be covered. If all I need to do is get the four front bolts off then I should be able to do it today or tomorrow.
ok you are confusing everyone here with your terminology switching back and forth. which are you actually refering to, the front CV axle shafts (or halfshafts) that hook to the wheels or the front propeller drive shaft which hooks to the front differential in a 4x4?

since you are talking about a hole in the tranny i assume you are meaning the CV axle shafts, and everyone has been thinking the opposite and giving you advice about the prop shaft which doesn't help you at all.

·
10,424 Posts
I'm not sure where you're getting conflicting info...

He says unbolt from front axle and pull out of t-case. Granted, they bolt on to the t-case as well as the front axle, but he's NOT talking about the CV axle. He's talking about the front drive shaft (yes, also called a prop shaft).

Besides, the c205mm axle doesn't have bolt-on CV axles...though I wish it did.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Four bolts on the front flange, 6 on the rear.

AWD vehicles CAN be driven without a front shaft. You MUST put it in 4hi to do so, however. Doing this will cause NO damage, period.
As I stated, there has been much debate about this. I know people who have done it with zero problems, and I know people who have done it and destroyed their t-cases. I guess it all comes down to how much risk your willing to take. Also, on the AWD cases, your always in 4hi, do you mean hi-loc? if so, there are specific warnings not to run hi-loc on dry pavement for extended lengths of time.

·
No Boost? Why Drive?
1,766 Posts
As I stated, there has been much debate about this. I know people who have done it with zero problems, and I know people who have done it and destroyed their t-cases. I guess it all comes down to how much risk your willing to take. Also, on the AWD cases, your always in 4hi, do you mean hi-loc? if so, there are specific warnings not to run hi-loc on dry pavement for extended lengths of time.
There is NO front driveshaft! NO damage can occur! Using 4wd WITH a front driveshaft is likely to break shit.

·
10,424 Posts
There is NO front driveshaft! NO damage can occur! Using 4wd WITH a front driveshaft is likely to break shit.
Yes. Bottom line, you lock the t-case in 4hi and drive it like a normal 2wd truck.

If you leave an AWD t-case in AWD and remove the front shaft, you'll blow it.

Like I said, an AWD Dak/Dur can be driven with the front driveshaft removed and the t-case in 4hi. There will be no damage.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Yes. Bottom line, you lock the t-case in 4hi and drive it like a normal 2wd truck.

If you leave an AWD t-case in AWD and remove the front shaft, you'll blow it.

Like I said, an AWD Dak/Dur can be driven with the front driveshaft removed and the t-case in 4hi. There will be no damage.

You missed my statment, the AWD trucks have 4lo-loc, nuetral, 4 hi, 4hi-loc, take your pic, which position would you like it to be in? The internals of the t-case are not designed to be run without the drivesahft. Yes, you can do it for short distances, such as if something happens on the trail.

Several years ago, right after I got my truck, I wanted to have it dyno'd. At the time there were no AWD dyno's in my area, the newsgroup I was on at the time, several people on there told me to just pull the front shaft and run it. None of the dyno shops in the area would let me do that without proof that there would be no loss of fluid or damage. Every tranny shop and dealer I called gave me one of two answers, either A. it will be fine nothing with happen, or B. don't do it, the internals of the t-case are not designed to do this and it will cause damage. These guys were all telling me I'd be fine, when I asked which one of them would be willing to put up the funds to fix the t-case if it grenaded, everyone of them shut up and the thread died.

Now, I just went through this earlier this year with my Dad's truck, also AWD. His front drive-shaft was making horrific noise, he took it too a local drive-line shop (60 yrs exp, they build drive-lines for everything from pickups to mining trucks) to have it replaced. They told him it would take 24 hrs to get the new shaft made up and installed. He told them he needed the truck for the rest of the day (it was also his work truck), they told him that they could not release the truck to him with the front drive-shaft out unless he signed a waiver that he understood there was proven significant risk of internal damage to the t-case, and that he had been explained the risk, and that he agreed to hold the shop blameless in the event anything happened.

·
No Boost? Why Drive?
1,766 Posts
It's like talking to a brick wall.

You CAN'T drive around an AWD vehicle with no front driveshaft, because it has a center diff that splits the power front to rear, when you use 4wd it LOCKS the t-case front to rear, no center diff. Now when you remove the front driveshaft and lock it in 4hi, it's just like 2wd. Having no front driveshaft makes jack shit bit of difference to the t-case,

·
Professional Slacker
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys... Seriously, i'm trying to find out if my 4wd drive truck that rides around in 2wd selection almost every bit its moving will operate fine and not fuck up even more if I remove the front drive shaft. I will be replacing the front drive shaft before the end of the year but i keep noticing new damage to it. First it just clicked/clanked now it also appears to have a crack running all the way around the u joint.

My truck has the NV223?*

*(4.7L 01 (5)45RFE which I think has the NV223).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts