Dakota Durango Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I called the CCI guys this morning. They had a core right in front of them, and they are going to build the replacement to the exact compression specs of the core. I talked to Jamie, one of the owners, who was real helpful. He said they're building probably 4 of these shafts a week for the Dakota/Durango and none have come back.

They are building the part today and I should have it in a few more. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
ebay #110645264654 some shop in woodstown NJ or Mr Driveshaft in farmingdale NJ( thats who made mine). fit perfect .The shaft you bought is probably made too long. My guy just took the Number from the tag on the old one and made one in 2 days. 225.00 bucks.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wrong part?

I'm replacing my front driveshaft on my 02 Dakota sport. I went and bought a reman. I got home tried installing n the new one was 1/4in to long. This new part measured 24 1/4in. Reading through post I see I'm not the only one who has this issue. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm replacing my front driveshaft on my 02 Dakota sport. I went and bought a reman. I got home tried installing n the new one was 1/4in to long. This new part measured 24 1/4in. Reading through post I see I'm not the only one who has this issue. Any suggestions?
I went through this (detailed in this thread). All I could find out is that there must have been a parts changeover at some time and the newer models have that extra 1/4 clearance that ours doesn't have.

Look at my post with the link to CCI Driveline. I put their replacement shaft on and it fit perfectly and has been trouble free for over a year now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I called the Dodge dealer today. They matched the part number off of my original shaft and said it was $412. Also, it's on backorder until 2/23 :(.

I called a local fabrication place but I need to take the original shaft into them before they can quote any specifics.

What a PITA.
See your local driveline shop, bring your shaft with you and they will replace the entire rzeppa head from anywhere from $185 to $225 depending.

I always just fix my customers shafts, do not do the swap out either, some shops take your old shaft and replace whats needed and thats it, meanwhile the last person that had it also jacked up his truck or car by it...

Take yours to your local driveline shop and have it taken care off...

Less headaches

Less money

No bs to deal with

·
Registered
90 Posts
My 01 dak has the front drive shaft with the cv joint but at my local u-pull it yard theres a 98 durango with a drive shaft with u joints on both ends. Will it work on mine?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
My 01 dak has the front drive shaft with the cv joint but at my local u-pull it yard theres a 98 durango with a drive shaft with u joints on both ends. Will it work on mine?
Probably not. There are several different part numbers over the years and they don't match between '98 and '01.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks man, you saved me some time and a lot of aggregation.lol

·
Registered
121 Posts
I thought the CV joint at the TC was for the AWD only for vibration reduction. I can tell you some do interchange but, don't use the double u-joint on an AWD. I tried it and had to go back to the CV type. Good Luck CC.

·
Registered
90 Posts
No mines just 4x4. I dont like that awd stuff.lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Should have just taken the OEM shaft to a shop with press capabilities. I tried to go the cheap route and paid for it by cracking my cardone joint so now I am buying a new drive shaft. Pay close attention to the lengths. A truck with a manual trans will have a different length that one with an auto trans. Transfer cases change too. I have a '99 Dakota with a '98 drive shaft. Completely different, thanks a lot Dodge.... I would check Napaonline.com, DodgeParts.com and RockAuto.com. Eff the dealer, they want almost $500 for mine, got it from Napa for $230.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am looking for a 2004 front shaft, too. My CV-joint is about to blow on a 2004 Dakota 4.7L w/ 5 spd manual.

Has anyone used one of CCI Drivelines?
http://www.ccidriveline.com/dakota---durango-4x4-front-drive-shaft.html

They replace the stock CV-joint with a flanged U-Jointed CV-joint. They are a little more expensive but look very good, and I have heard mixed reviews on the simpler double U-joint shafts. If I decide to go with CCI, I will post review here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am replacing my front drive shaft due to the torn CV boot that grenaded the joint.

I got the old shaft out, and when I went to fit the new one I've found it's not fitting in. It's a double U-joint model, with a slip shaft. The shaft is completely compressed and it still seems like I need another 1/4" to get it in.

If I mount the front yoke first, I can't get the back in, if I slide the back in, the front won't go in because of the lip that fits into the front yoke.

Is it possible I have the wrong part, or am I missing something?

The old shaft will compress down to almost 1/2" less than the new shaft at full compression, which worries me.
measure the old shaft. There are two lengths available. 26-1/4 and 24-1/4. Looks like yours is a 24-1/4. You can tell the difference, the 26" has an extendable boot. The 24 inch is just a rubber seal.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
460 Posts
10 years too late...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts