Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 QC SXT and I ripped up the bottom of the 1 piece gray (boring) bumper cover. I would like to replace the whole assembly with a new chrome bumper and lower fascia but the parts guy said that it wouldn't fit - is that true that I have to stick with the original setup? Thanks.

·
CCHHRROOMMEE
96 Posts

Attachments

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I called StylinConcepts and unfortunately there rae no chrome bumpers available for my year Dak - your setup looks great though, I'm gonna keep tryin'

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
cnw said:
Thanks, I called StylinConcepts and unfortunately there rae no chrome bumpers available for my year Dak - your setup looks great though, I'm gonna keep tryin'
The 97-00 Dakotas have the same front bumper, and the 01-04's have the same as well. They all look the same, but the mounting methods are different. Quite often retailers are very confused and do not have the proper model compatability listed on their parts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the same problem... I have an 03 durango, and ordered the Top bumper peice, and it doest fit!! ergh! I ordered new brackets, and they are the wrong ones, dont fit! Anyone done this? 2000 Front TOp bumper on the 2003 Durango/dakota....?

·
CCHHRROOMMEE
96 Posts
Crazy, how is it not fitting? is it the double bolt holes are positioned diff or the bumper hits?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Alright... there are a few things that you guys need to know.

First off... 00 and older had a two piece bumper (sport and SLT models), 01 and newer have a ONE piece bumper (sport only). When they did this change... they also changed how the bumper mounts to your frame.

My father has an 02 SLT Durango... BUT, his upper bumper part is the same color as his truck(this is a one piece). In other words... if your dakota/durango is 01 or newer, and you DON'T have a chrome upper bumper.... you have a ONE piece... but if you DO have a chrome upper bumper... it is still a TWO piece... BUT it has the same mounting hardware as the ONE piece bumper that I speak of.

If you have a chrome upper bumper, but you want it to be the same color as your truck... along with the lower portion of the bumper... you will need to find a bumper core(I call it this because you can't see it, it's a hard metal bumper that goes UNDER that ONE piece bumper cover that I speak of). This should mount up to your existing holes on your bumper... then just attach your bumper cover(whether it be the stocker ONE piece, stillen, SS, or whatever).

If you want a Chrome upper bumper 01 or newer, you will need to find that SPECIFIC bumper and year in a junk yard or ebay(good luck with that task).

If you have a Chrome bumper, and want to get rid of the lower(crappy gray color) facia.... rip it off... take all foglight hardware off(if applicable), and buy that lower facia in chrome like the above member did. It SHOULD(it's a stretch) bold up to the bottom of your 01 and newer chrome upper bumper... but I'm not positive. You might also have some problems mounting your foglights and hardware(if applicable).

Paul

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 1 piece crappy dark gray bumper cover on my 2003 SXT is cracked - any idea how to fix it? Maybe just heat up the plastic with a torch? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
cnw said:
My 1 piece crappy dark gray bumper cover on my 2003 SXT is cracked - any idea how to fix it? Maybe just heat up the plastic with a torch? Thanks.
There are a few ways to fix it....

1) Get a whole seperate bumper cover(OEM, SS, Stillen, etc.) and just simply put the new bumper cover directly OVER your exsisting bumper cover.

2) Ge yours fixed with a good sanding, bondo, sanding, primer(few coats), Paint(few coats), and clear coat.

Paul

·
CCHHRROOMMEE
96 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts