Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It always seems that my heater is on in my '99 Dak (97k). Even in the spring with just the "vent" on the air comes out 5 - 10 degrees hotter than the outside air. I have to use the A/C to get "normal" temp air.

Is there maybe a louver stuck?

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Many vehicles do not have a valve to shut off flow of the hot water through the heater core. If yours is one of them you'll have to put one in yourself. Go to the hardware store and get two ball valves from the plumbing department with inlets to match your hose size. I found it waorks best to put them in both the supply and return. It's a pain because you have to manually change them back and forth depending on the weather but it deffinately cools off the incoming air. Un less you can find an electric valve of some kind that you can rig up.

·
Dakota for Life!
2,489 Posts
olsarge said:
Many vehicles do not have a valve to shut off flow of the hot water through the heater core. If yours is one of them you'll have to put one in yourself. Go to the hardware store and get two ball valves from the plumbing department with inlets to match your hose size. I found it waorks best to put them in both the supply and return. It's a pain because you have to manually change them back and forth depending on the weather but it deffinately cools off the incoming air. Un less you can find an electric valve of some kind that you can rig up.
You're absolutely correct. However, all he'll need is one ball valve on the hose that feeds the heater. I might add to occasionally open the valve to keep the heater core from rotting (drying) out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I may give this a try, although usually whenever I attempt ANY plumbing chore I wind up having to replace a toilet. ;)

Have you heard of this problem before?

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Some residual heat will travel back through the return line. I tried just the inlet line and saw big improvement. Then did the return line also and it got better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts