Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a small coolant leak in my 2000 Durango 4.7. Found the leak coming from a freeze plug on the back drivers side of engine. The plug disintegrated when I went to remove it, and looks very rusty. I am worried that I now need to check all of the freeze plugs but I think to get at some I will need to drop the transmission or pull the engine.

Does anyone have any experience with freeze plugs on the 4.7? If one goes, is it likely the others are likely to go? The ones on the passenger side that I can easily see look fine.

The vehicle has only 108k miles. I have flushed and changed coolant about every two years but I guess not good enough. I just replaced the radiator earlier this year.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport
90 Posts
I have no experience with the 4.7 plugs, but in my old Jeep, one rusted through and the rest were close behind. However, if they look fine, I'd probably just leave them. Especially given what a pain in the ass they can be to get to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. I went ahead and replaced the one leaking one, although I am having trouble getting it to seal completely (still getting a little leakage when vehicle heats up).

On the other freeze plugs, the ones that I can see look fine and I think I would do more damage than good to replace them. I think that I will just pray to the Lord above on the rest of them as I don’t see any easy way to get to the ones at the back at the transmission without dropping the transmission/pulling the engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts