Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
<---1 of none!
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 94 Dak has developed a bad spot on the frame. A guy that works with my nephew is scrapping a 2000 club cab dak that the frame is in perfect shape. Now before i try to fix the frame on the 94 I am wondering how much difference there is between the frames on these 2 yrs of trucks. (cab and box mounting locations. Engine mount locations etc) My nephew tells me at first glance they look very similar. Do any of you guys know what the differences are?

·
I hate you people.
2,831 Posts
I believe the frame was redesigned in 1997 and IDK if there is any carryover from the Gen II Dakota's to the Gen III's. I think the frames all got a little bigger as well.

·
¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯
4,364 Posts
I know people have bolted gen II beds on gen III's and vice versa

·
Registered
778 Posts
I know 2000 is rack and pinion steering, so all the mounting for the steering box, pitman arm and that will be gone.

·
<---1 of none!
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know 2000 is rack and pinion steering, so all the mounting for the steering box, pitman arm and that will be gone.
2wd genII is also rack and pinion so no problem there. So does anyone have any idea if the genII cab will bolt up to the gen III frame? we seem to have the bed sorted out now.

·
<---1 of none!
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Isnt the Gen 3 engine half jammed under the cowl? might not fit.
i thought about that thats why im asking. The wheelbase is the same and the bed seems to bolt right on and they are both club cabs so perhaps the engine location is just an illusion do to the design of the firewall dash/ area of the genIII cab that whole cab forward thing they were doing with their cars and trucks at the time?

·
Registered
903 Posts
This is a horrible idea, most gen 2s have a bad frame if your talking about the y pipe area at the bend in the frame. I welded plates on mine

·
Registered
69 Posts
i thought about that thats why im asking. The wheelbase is the same and the bed seems to bolt right on and they are both club cabs so perhaps the engine location is just an illusion do to the design of the firewall dash/ area of the genIII cab that whole cab forward thing they were doing with their cars and trucks at the time?
yes its an illusion cos of the design of the dash and cowl area

·
<---1 of none!
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a horrible idea, most gen 2s have a bad frame if your talking about the y pipe area at the bend in the frame. I welded plates on mine
Define horrible idea Deanler without a reason horrile idea could be anything.

It has some soft spots in a few different areas thats why im looking into doing this. Finding a good frame up in the rust belt for a gen2 will be a hard search.

·
<---1 of none!
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have descovered that the genIII has only 3 cab mounts on each side and the gen II has 4 aside from that the length and width seem to be the same.

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,225 Posts
My 99 Dodge service manual has dimensions for the frame, maybe the second gen manual would have the same info and could be compared.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I just think its going to be way more hassle and work than its worth. I would imagine you'll have to.add cut.drawled.tons of brackets, if not.get half.way through it and discover theres a portion of.the frame that's so different it won't work or have fitment issues. I would worry about fender gaps fitment of panels. All this and aboit 2 hours of welding can fit your factory frame

1 - 13 of 13 Posts