Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealership got a 2001 Durango R/T on a trade. I am thinking about picking it up but have a few questions. What areas should I look at real close to avoid problems? There is a large oil leak that appears to be coming from the rear of the engine near the distributor. The heads look brand new on this truck and can't imagine it being the plenum gasket already. Are there any common problems back there? It seems to run pretty good but the idle is a little rough.....almost like a real mild cam. Is it normal for this to have a bit of a rough idle. It doesn't feel like a mis or anything, just like an old push rod. Don't forget I'm a Ford guy and very rarely see a push rod.
I have a Jeep XJ right now and am looking to upgrade a bit. My XJ is real reliable and I'm afraid to drop it for something that I'm unsure of. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
285 Posts
have your suspension guy check the the front end for crash damage. if it has a reg dist, cap, plug the vent in the top of of the cap.

man o man i about forgot yes its a cut & past sorry. __________________
after you clean the trans. add this to your*chrysler*trans. an external fluid filter
1. go to auto-zone. get 2210, its called a power steering filter, but it is for transs to. it is for 3/8 tubing. by (magna-fine) be sure to use high pressure hose. Reff:http://www.magnafilter.com.au/magna-fine.html*
2. for other sizes wix 58964 5/16 tube size reff:http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlook...sionfilter.asp
3. most chrysler trans are 3/8 tube

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Weak points in the durango... front ball joints both upper and lowers. Front axle drive hubs are another major weak point in the design. Rust on the rear lower hatch seems to be common as well.

If you have a oil leak by the dist. It may be the oil pressure sending unit not tightened down enough. Do not ever remove the dist unless you want to reset fuel sync. Timing is controled by the pcm.

Dont expect great fuel mileage. Driving styles differ from person to person. Some get 10mpg. Others can nurse 18-20. Myself, i average 16-18 normally.

We're a pretty close knit family here i like to think. Normal forums but we have tons of info from normal maintaince to full out modding. So dont be afraid to ask questions. And as always..... Welcome to the forum!!

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
If the heads look new, then there's a good chance the rear seal on the intake manifold is leaking because it wasn't re-installed properly. You will have to take the intake manifold off and install new gaskets.

I highly recommend the Edelbrock intake manifold gaskets, or the Felpro 1213. The Edelbrock gaskets don't come with end seals and the instructions say to use RTV. They are now the only intake manifold gaskets I will use on my truck and as long as you let the RTV set up before running the motor, and you put enough of a bead down it will not leak.

The Felpro 1213s come with cork end gaskets, with self adhesive strips to hold them in place while you set the manifold down and are more forgiving than the OEM style rubber end seals as far as not leaking. They used to be my preferred gaskets, but when I put on the aluminum Edelbrock heads, the gaskets would shift and would start to deteriorate around the coolant ports. They also require you to elongate the holes for the intake manifold bolts as they are designed for the older LA motors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to throw some dealer plates on it today and take it for a good drive to make sure it is all there. For the price I can get it for, I'm not worried about a little maintenance. But I will enjoy having something that is a little special.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So its a no go. Got the engine warm and oil pressure was low. Added 4 quarts of oil, hooked up a manual pressure gauge and it was still low. Held the RPM's at 3k and the engine rattles away. Would have been nice though, the truck itself is in great shape.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Sad to hear that. Ive had my 98 4x4 for 6yrs and love it to death.

Better to find out now though and not after you bought it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts