Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Dakota 4.7L Auto 4wd Quad / disc-drum rear brakes.

Bought a beater truck for the wintertime up here by the Canadian border. Guy said it didn't have any brakes. Turns out he wasn't lying.

QUESTION: where can I find another backing plate/caliper bracket assembly for less than the cost of a Ferrari and doesn't come from a North Korean hooker?

Whats happened so far:
Turns out the parking breaks were gutted. Took the rotors off and the entire parking brake assembly was gone on both sides. Backing plates are in decent shape but the holes for the shoe pins are worn to big and have cracks around the holes.

I pulled the axle shaft out and have the passenger side plate off. At this point I'm thinking its a much better idea to replace them instead of repairing them.

I don't know the cross-over from Jeep or any other Chrysler product. The kit I found for it is $500 each side, and I only paid $900 for the truck. I can imagine Dodge would charge a butt-ton more than that if I went to the dealership. There are no decent junkyards with 3 hours of me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rear disc brakes came on 2003 and 2004 dakota's only. Perhaps also durango if we're being honest.
Cost me 250 ish (autozone prices) to replace just the rotors, shoes for the ebrake and new rear pads, keeping everything else. So 500 a side seems stiff, but then again maybe not. Problem is the things are going to be so dang heavy, even if you find them online the shipping is going to be nuts.
Even rockauto is 230 a side for calipers pads and shoes, not the hardware kit or the backing plate. I think you'll be doing good to get out of this for 600-700 without junkyard parts.

You can try car-part.com (with the hyphen), online network of junkyards everwhere. See if they'll send you everything you need in one fell swoop?
Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rear disc brakes came on 2003 and 2004 dakota's only. Perhaps also durango if we're being honest.
Cost me 250 ish (autozone prices) to replace just the rotors, shoes for the ebrake and new rear pads, keeping everything else. So 500 a side seems stiff, but then again maybe not. Problem is the things are going to be so dang heavy, even if you find them online the shipping is going to be nuts.
Even rockauto is 230 a side for calipers pads and shoes, not the hardware kit or the backing plate. I think you'll be doing good to get out of this for 600-700 without junkyard parts.

You can try car-part.com (with the hyphen), online network of junkyards everwhere. See if they'll send you everything you need in one fell swoop?
Good luck
Check out on line Rock Auto, Parts Geek, Mopar Overstock. I have been satisfied and have ordered from all 3.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts