Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just a quick question. The past couple days, it's been raining here pretty damn good, and this morning I noticed my driver side headlight is getting fogged up. I've read in here before that you can use some sort of sealant on them. My question to you, is, which one is best? They have done this before, and the easiest way to dry them out, is to leave my headlights on for a while. After I do that, is the drain hole that's already on the lense good enough to let the moisture out, or do I have to drill it out larger? Thanks for all the input guys.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
clear rtv from any auto store or wal-mart

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks rock. I seal the line where the clear lens meets with the black plastic correct? Would it be smart to seal both and the turns, or just the one thats fogged? The ony way I found to unfog them was to leave my lights on for a while. Is there a quicker/easier way to do that? Thanks again Rock.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
that's it. I pulled all of mine and did them at the same time. I guess I was in the mood to get it all done...

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
I sealed all 4 of mine, and then i drilled two small holes under where each bulb plugs in on the headlights and the parking lights. I drilled the holes because even though they are sealed, if there was ever any moisture that gets inside, the two holes allow air to circulate to dry it out.

See, I have heard that the reason all of these headlights are fogging up is because we take them through pressure washes, and it blows the seal thats originally on them. So air can get in, and when the weather is different enough on the outside and on the inside of the lenses, they fog. I dont know how much truth to the pressure wash thing is, but I can vouch and say I never had a problem until I used one on them, and my aftermarket tail lights have never given me trouble, but then again they have never been through a pressure wash either.

~CYCLONE_06

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used windshield sealant.It flows better(more liquid than rtv sealants) and dries clear.I would do all of them at the same time.Can't hurt.

Later,
Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts