Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is more of a stupid question but I'd rather ask one of you than just go off and do it. Since my truck did not come with fog lights. The holes are plugged. What is the best way of cutting thos inserts out. Would it be easier to take it somewhere and have them installed or try to do it myself?

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I know my truck is a diffrent body style, but I will tell you what i did on my 04 SXT. I took the front bumper cover off and cut the holes out with a demal tool and then went to Autozone and found 4 inch fog lights and made sure that the backets would work with the amount of room i had to work with. i scrwed the bracket to the rebar and put the bumper cover back on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input man. I got under there today, and it seems that I have holes for the factory brackets. Might be able to use those somehow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got an 05 ST quad cab, and I wanted to install the fog lights as well. I ordered the kit from dodgeparts.com and it came with everything you need to install the factory lights. The way the kit handles the bumper is they tell you to cut out the holes with a dremel or similar tool, then the kit provides a couple of black bezels which have three pins each that hold them in place. The truck already has the brackets behind the bumper, so once the bumper is cut out you snap the lights into place. The wiring is pretty simple, basically it plugs into the underside of your fuse box under the hood. Just be careful not to break off one of the prongs off the wires like I did! :cussing:
The kit comes with a factory switch which you just swap out, then make sure your wires are all tied up with the wire ties provided. There is a fuse and relay included, but my Dakota already had those in place for some reason. The only kicker is this: once you get all this installed it still won't work. The final step is you have to go to the dealer to have them hook into your computer and ENABLE the computer to recognize the fog lights. This really isn't that big a deal, it only takes them a few minutes but they charge you for hooking up to the computer. In my case the dealer charged me $35, (he gave me a $10 discount from their hourly rate cause I got my truck from them). I think I was there maybe 20-30 minutes and it was done. The cool thing about this though is that it looks completely stock *and* when you activate the fog lights the little green "foglight" emblem lights up on the dash just like stock. The light kit costs $128 and then $35 for the computer hook up for a total of $163. There are other lights out there and you can use aftermarket switches, but I preferred to install the stock set up so it was worth it to me. Hope this helps!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problem - the part number is 82209046. It says on my invoice that the kit lists for $149.00 and the Dodgeparts.com price is $124.80. It's easy to do install the entire kit yourself, but like I said you will have to take it to a dealership with a Starscan device so they can hook into your computer and enable the lights to work. Nice truck you got there!

·
Registered
322 Posts
jay wx said:
I've got an 05 ST quad cab, and I wanted to install the fog lights as well. I ordered the kit from dodgeparts.com and it came with everything you need to install the factory lights. The way the kit handles the bumper is they tell you to cut out the holes with a dremel or similar tool, then the kit provides a couple of black bezels which have three pins each that hold them in place. The truck already has the brackets behind the bumper, so once the bumper is cut out you snap the lights into place. The wiring is pretty simple, basically it plugs into the underside of your fuse box under the hood. Just be careful not to break off one of the prongs off the wires like I did! :cussing:
The kit comes with a factory switch which you just swap out, then make sure your wires are all tied up with the wire ties provided. There is a fuse and relay included, but my Dakota already had those in place for some reason. The only kicker is this: once you get all this installed it still won't work. The final step is you have to go to the dealer to have them hook into your computer and ENABLE the computer to recognize the fog lights. This really isn't that big a deal, it only takes them a few minutes but they charge you for hooking up to the computer. In my case the dealer charged me $35, (he gave me a $10 discount from their hourly rate cause I got my truck from them). I think I was there maybe 20-30 minutes and it was done. The cool thing about this though is that it looks completely stock *and* when you activate the fog lights the little green "foglight" emblem lights up on the dash just like stock. The light kit costs $128 and then $35 for the computer hook up for a total of $163. There are other lights out there and you can use aftermarket switches, but I preferred to install the stock set up so it was worth it to me. Hope this helps!
Some good info in your post. I just ordered a set for my 01 from moparsupercenter. I wonder if Ill have to get the computer reflashed as well??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry to take so long to respond!! Not sure about the 01, but if I had to guess I'd say you probably will not have to take it to the dealer to have them enabled...which would mean you could save a few bucks :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.