Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
go tp junk yards and look for the brakets. yo uwill also need the headlight switch. depends on what year you have. I know my sister had a 99 I think and the fog switch was next to the headlight switch. while my 03 is built in to the headlight switch. I have to pull on. I would guess the wiring might be already in your truck for fogs. I have heard some say that it already was wired but never had fogs in the truck.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thinking of doing the same thing with my '04. Again I think that you should be able to hit up some Junk yards and get the lights and switch. My switch does not have that with it, but I am guessing that the wiring is there because I pulled the door panels last weekend and there are wires for power mirrors and plugs for the power windows (I don't have either). Let me know what you find out!!

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
Im getting 2 sets of fogs soon. But Im not putting them in the stock location...one set on top of the bumper and one set in the lower bumper valence holes. But My truck was already wired for the factory fogs...but I put the cutout switch where the fog switch was :mullet:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Foglights

The '99 D comes prewired for the foglights. If you want to maintain the factory look, you'll have to replace the light switch, which will give you the pull-on feature. It is just a plug-in, very easy to do. The hardest part about this is cutting the holes in the front valance.

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Ol' Fart said:
The '99 D comes prewired for the foglights. If you want to maintain the factory look, you'll have to replace the light switch, which will give you the pull-on feature. It is just a plug-in, very easy to do. The hardest part about this is cutting the holes in the front valance.
Just go over to your local builders supply rental store, get a 4" hole saw! I did that on my 97 Dakota. Looks champ! (I actually never ended up puttin in foglights, just left em open...) I thinks the R/T might get some HID aux driving lights if I can find em.

Remember that if you use the stock wiring, it'll get hot with 2 55w bulbs in there, it'd really be best to just use the stock wiring to trigger a relay!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dodge sells a kit with everything needed to put the foglights on a truck that originally did not have them with the exception of the hole saw. The part number is 82205658. It lists for $130 but if you get a discount it will be cheaper. I got two of these kits, one for my v6 sport who did not have them from the factory and one kit for my R/T which needed the two lights replaced. If you price just one fog light it will cost more or about the same as the entire kit. If anyone needs it I have the new extra wiring and the extra headlight switch that I did not use on my R/T I will sell pretty cheap. They are for a 99 so I don't think that they will work on the 01 and newer trucks due to the different dash.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
if you don`t mind all time running fog light then just do what i did. i bought a set of navigator fogs from walmart and installed em. for the wiring i hooked em up to the turn signal wires. 2 years and no problems.

·
I need 2 more cylinders!!
392 Posts
My 98 didn't have fogs on it so I went and bought the pilot navigators. Cut out the bumper valance and wired direct to the battery and then ran a switch through the firewall and put the switch in the little pop out panel next to the headlight switch. I did have to open the back of that little panel up a bit to get the switch to fit in there right and snug with a dremel tool and some files. Works great but unless you get the adaptors to go from a flat wire end on most 55w bulbs to the round connector ends on the pilots wiring, you have to bend the flat ends into a v shape with a pliers but not too much otherwise it will pull out. The only thing that's a pain is if you forget to turn them off when you turn the truck off, no warning chime by doing it this way.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
The only thing that's a pain is if you forget to turn them off when you turn the truck off, no warning chime by doing it this way.
That is why its a good idea to pull juice for the relay from the parking lamp circuit. There is nearly zero amperage to run the relay and your fog lights will turn off with the parking lamps if you happen to leave the switch on. I did this with my HellaFF75's...obviously works with any aftermarket lighting.

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
the kit dodge sells is crap, it looks unprofessional installed, your wires are already there for fogs, their under the radiaror, take your light switch out, the 2 wire plug is for your fogs, place a relay in the spot under the hood, and then go buy 4 screws extremely easy, I did this to mine if you need any pics or anything i can take some pictures, installing the older style fogs to the bumper involves removing front bumper, since they mount to the metal part, a 4 inchhole saw will work however you will still have to trim about a .25 inch around, they arent exactly 4 inches wide, anyway its very easy to do

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
jmaack727 said:
the kit dodge sells is crap, it looks unprofessional installed, your wires are already there for fogs, their under the radiaror, take your light switch out, the 2 wire plug is for your fogs, place a relay in the spot under the hood, and then go buy 4 screws extremely easy, I did this to mine if you need any pics or anything i can take some pictures, installing the older style fogs to the bumper involves removing front bumper, since they mount to the metal part, a 4 inchhole saw will work however you will still have to trim about a .25 inch around, they arent exactly 4 inches wide, anyway its very easy to do
probally be cheaper to go to the junkyard and git them :)

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
well i got both of mine on ebay last year for 35 dollars SHIPPED! came with no bulbs but complete housings, id check ebay first most yards treat them like gold cause their the first thing to get damaged in a wreck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.