Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Yes it's a lowered 4X4
1,549 Posts
Did you remove the cap before draining the rad??

You are suppose to drain the rad with the cap inplace, it will drain both the rad and overflow at the same time. Once drained then remove the cap.

What you can do is fill up the rad with distilled water then run the truck for 1min, then drain the rad with the cap inplace. It should do the trick!!

·
Mike
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welp as i was typing that message it did infact drain by the way you just said...but now i'm having a problem filling it up...the overflow is filled and the hose going to the motor with the silver cap on it is full and i even drove it 15 mins and left it warm up...i have full heat, but i took out a good bit and i only put 2gal in right now....any ideas?

·
Mike
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No i didn't....i got almost a 5 gal bucket full out of it before...but i think thats some water that i used to fill the rad back up to try and get the overflow empty....I have it running now...and it has been for about 15 mins and the temp is right on and the heat is warm as hell....so maybe it is full...i dont know...i'll just have to keep an eye on it for a week or so.

·
Yes it's a lowered 4X4
1,549 Posts
do you have a 50/50 mixture?? Let the truck cool off a bit, remove the cap and bleeder screw. Fill until the coolant comes out of bleeder hole. Next install bleeder and put back the cap. That's it!!! If the coolant system needs more coolant it will be sucked out thru the overflow tank on it's own.

The rad, hoses and overflow holds just over 2 gals.

·
Mike
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its not 50/50 but i put 1 gal of coolant and 1 gal of water....Thanks for your help this evening!.. :biggthump

·
Yes it's a lowered 4X4
1,549 Posts
Not a problem!!

I suggest you buy (very cheap) a coolant reader gauge at your local parts store. Because from what I'm gathering you have 1/3 coolant and 2/3 water which is not good. You need atleast 50/50 mixture. If you have a very cold day kiss your motor good bye!!!

·
Mike
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea but the water you use to flush it gets into the motor so that makes more water than coolant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.