Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have seen some dakotas with the shifters in the floor (aftermarket) i was wondering how hard it was to get the shifters there and if you can do it your self. it seems all you need to do is run the line from the shifter to the trans but what about the o/d button. thanks alan

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
its easy...i added one to my turbo regal before. the od button would have to be a seperate on/off switch that you can add on, and maybe mount it to the shifter housing, or reuse the stock button relocated on the dash or something. im pretty sure you can do it provided you can read and have hands.

·
'10 Camaro RS/SS
3,894 Posts
IMHO, the best way to handle the OD issue is to extend the wiring to the new floor shifter, and just swap out the handle with one that has a button.

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
most handles that have buttons are momentary switches...i have yet to find one with an on/off switch...im not sure if the stock button will replace the one in the handle either...

R

·
0 Posts
What about the steering column, what could be done to clean up where the original shifter was installed?

·
Montana Dodge's BFF
2,196 Posts

The little plastic piece that slides with the original shiter is long enough to just slide down till the hole is hidden.I put the od button where the airbag shut off was.The switch comes out if you cut the connector,pull it out the handle and resolder the wires back together.

DEPUTY

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
What part number shifter are your guys using, I love the B&M Hammer, but the console around it is really big, I want to mount one in a custom full length center console. And I want it to look nice, flush and smooth. Also, Does anyone have experience on reverse pattern valve bodies for the 46re?

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
free bump...if anyone wants to chime in

·
Registered
993 Posts
Have the B&M T handle with button and it works flawless.

What about the steering column, what could be done to clean up where the original shifter was installed?
> Once the shifter is out (held in by a pin) the black shroud around your steering column has a long black piece that simple slides down. In other words, lookign at your shifter now, as you move it up and down, you see the black slider it goes through...you just slide if down to hide the hole. Works fine.

I have Glen's last ever made fiberglass piece that replaces the top side of the console. Looks close to factory, just a shade small on the front side but unless looking, its perfect. I even painted it :)

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
So, this is just about the shifter cable? Get a B&M floor shifter, and mount it and connect the cable? How does the OD button come off the coulumn shifter?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Tanky do u have a pic of that i was wanting to make one for my truck

It would be really apreciatted if u have a pic not installed

Thanks

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
My panel has teh wiper switch, two power outlets and the rear defroster. You wanna throw in that extinguisher? LoL, how would trading work? Yo usend me ur panel and I'll take mine out and send you mind? I don't care as long as I can put my control panel in yours. Also, don't I have a A-518? I thoguht 46RE and the A-518 were the same...why doesn't it work?

·
White Trash
2,373 Posts
ddrango said:
My panel has teh wiper switch, two power outlets and the rear defroster. You wanna throw in that extinguisher? LoL, how would trading work? Yo usend me ur panel and I'll take mine out and send you mind? I don't care as long as I can put my control panel in yours. Also, don't I have a A-518? I thoguht 46RE and the A-518 were the same...why doesn't it work?
well, i don't have a wiper switch in mine nor do i have rear defrost so a trade isn't going to work.

the stock O/D button (what i put in my panel) is a mometary type switch. the A-518 requires a locking (can't think of the proper name for the switch)switch

the 518 (aka 46RH) and the 46RE are basically the same. the "H" in 46RH stands for hydraulic and the "E" in 46RE stands for electric.

i have the 518 in mine along with DFI, so the PCM is removed all together.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
uwntsumrtII said:
well, i don't have a wiper switch in mine nor do i have rear defrost so a trade isn't going to work.

the stock O/D button (what i put in my panel) is a mometary type switch. the A-518 requires a locking (can't think of the proper name for the switch)switch

the 518 (aka 46RH) and the 46RE are basically the same. the "H" in 46RH stands for hydraulic and the "E" in 46RE stands for electric.

i have the 518 in mine along with DFI, so the PCM is removed all together.
Aw man, no trade? I was like woohoo for a sec. :jester:

Isn't that the O/D switch off the columun shifter?

·
White Trash
2,373 Posts
ddrango said:
Aw man, no trade? I was like woohoo for a sec. :jester:

Isn't that the O/D switch off the columun shifter?
yeah, off the column shifter. you'd be the one loosing out on a trade since i don't have the other 2 switches you have, LOL!!

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
uwntsumrtII said:
i put the O/D button on the dash next to the power outlets. but now i have an A-518 trans so the button is no good. wanna tradr panels?
why does your air bag switch also have it written in spanish?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts